Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy OEM Factory paint for spraying cap??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Best place to buy OEM Factory paint for spraying cap??

Guys,

Picking up a used Cap/Topper very cheap that's the wrong color and I wanted to scuff and paint it. Never done this before but I have the HVLP gun and supplies, plus a large compressor. So being it's just a cap, I want to practice on this. I just don't know where to get the factory OEM Paint (Race Red) to do this all with a base and clear coat.

Any recommendations for paint supplies are GREATLY appreciated.
Also if anyone has tips on how to take the windows out properly etc, I'm all ears also.
It's a Century Ultra Sport. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Body shop supply store.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A friendly local body shop or ColorRite.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

I usually get my PPG products from NAPA. Just bring in the OEM paint code and they will match it almost exact...
Old 05-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default Best place to buy OEM Factory paint for spraying cap??

I could post a long long reply to this, but I'll just keep it short.

As mentioned before any body shop supply store will have the paint you seek. Remember, you get what you pay for with paint. Low end paint that's pretty good: Omni, it's PPG's low end(or value, as they call it).

Also, depending on what spray guns you have, make sure your air compressor is at least 60-80 gallons. Sprayed a side job with a 60 gallon, and it wasn't enough. I had to wait for the compressor to catch up. But I use sata spray guns, and they consume lots of air.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
I could post a long long reply to this, but I'll just keep it short.

As mentioned before any body shop supply store will have the paint you seek. Remember, you get what you pay for with paint. Low end paint that's pretty good: Omni, it's PPG's low end(or value, as they call it).

Also, depending on what spray guns you have, make sure your air compressor is at least 60-80 gallons. Sprayed a side job with a 60 gallon, and it wasn't enough. I had to wait for the compressor to catch up. But I use sata spray guns, and they consume lots of air.

To add, CFM is also a key consideration for all air tools, most especially for paint guns and/or sand blasters. The higher the better, I specifically bought a Quincy air compressor for three reasons, most importantly CFM, nothing sucks more than a 1/2" impact that falls flat due to lack of CFM. Mine is 12.4 CFM@ 100PSI.

Available voltage requirements, single stage 220v for home and shop use but not in an industrial way.

Best bang for the buck. So many times I have seen people buy what they think is going to do the job only to find it lacking because they don't really know the ins and outs of all the required applications.

Made in America also pulls a lot of weight in decision making.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not being ugly but if you have never painted anything before this has epic failure written all over it. If your able to lay the base the clear coat will get you on such a large area. If you must always use PPG and with reds get their DBC line. Nothing cheap. High solids clear also or it will peel.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I hope you have a good gun that atomizes or its going to tiger stripe.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 AM

Thank you all for your input.

This at least gives me some leads on where to begin. I know this MIGHT have fail written all over it, but honestly I'm not keeping the CAP/TOPPER on my truck 24/7. It's realistically being bought strictly for a road trip and coming off right after it. I've been wanting to learn on something to paint with an HVLP gun and figured this would be a good thing to pop my cherry.

I have a Kobalt 60 Gallon 135psi tank I'm using.

Originally Posted by Blackhorse 3/11
Also I hope you have a good gun that atomizes or its going to tiger stripe.
The spray gun I planned on using I picked up in a kit from Costco about 6 years ago. It's a Mastergrip 34 Piece HVLP system. I'm not too savvy on whether it can appropriately atomize this particular paint but I found THIS info online. http://slickdeals.net/f/1286409-cost...ayer-kit-49-97

If anyone has an inexpensive HVLP gun they think will be better suited to this task, please recommend the specifics and gun and store. I'm not opposed to using Harbor Freight either if it's decent enough for 1 job

thanks.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 05-06-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:37 AM

I watched some Youtube video's and this HF HVLP gun sounds like it's recommended for beginners.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-p...gun-68843.html

Quick Reply: Best place to buy OEM Factory paint for spraying cap??