Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed Storage: Bakbox vs Swingcase vs Others?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Bed Storage: Bakbox vs Swingcase vs Others?

Looking to add some storage to the bed of my truck. I don't have enough storage to store everything I want under my rear seats (tie downs, jumper cables, tow strap, D-rings, etc.). I have plenty of room in my bed, but I want it organized. I've been looking at the bakbox and swingcase as potential options. I've listen some pros/cons below. Keep in mind I have a Backflip MX4, so the pros/cons are related to that.

Bakbox (http://bakindustries.com/p-8254-bakb...-overview.html)
Pros: Folds up so I can use entire bed
Snowboards still fit under the box.
Lots of storage
Cons:Have to completely fold up bed cover to access storage (not a big deal, as most of the things I store there will not be used regularly)
Still difficult to access storage without getting in the bed
Price $289

Swingcase (http://www.undercoverinfo.com/products/swingcase)
Pros: Quickly removable to access entire bed
Doesn't extend past wheel wells, so removing it should rarely be needed
Easy to access storage with cover up or down
Lockable (Don't really care about this one, I already have a cover on it)
Price $189
Cons:Lose a tie down location
Less storage

Anybody have any experience or opinions on which box to choose? I am open to other options as well, but I haven't found much.

Last edited by redranger04g; 01-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the driver side swing case. You can still put things in the bed as it fits neatly beside the wheel hump. I chose the driver side over the passenger because I don't store anything in my bed and when I use it it's to move my car's summer or winter tires to the storage unit.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I've got the BakBox and its been handy for my use. Usually smaller items that I dont want rolling around the bed, maintenance & emergency stuff as well as a other random items.
The Swingcase wasnt an option for me as I have a bed extender... I've no experience with it but I would have bought them had 1) I not had the extender and 2) not gotten a good deal on the bakbox with my BAKFlip cover.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
I've got the BakBox and its been handy for my use. Usually smaller items that I dont want rolling around the bed, maintenance & emergency stuff as well as a other random items.
The Swingcase wasnt an option for me as I have a bed extender... I've no experience with it but I would have bought them had 1) I not had the extender and 2) not gotten a good deal on the bakbox with my BAKFlip cover.
Is it annoying folding back your entire cover in order to use the Bakbox? Another big Con I discovered is that you lose a tie down point with the Swingcase. That might be a deal breaker.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Bakbox and no I don't find it annoying having to flip back my cover to access it. I have things in there that I need once or twice a week. Having the bed extender didn't allow me to try the swingcase but I prefer my current setup.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Both are great options, I think the real deciding factors are if you need that tie down point and how much space you need. The BAKBox is probably the better option if you need more space for gear, and the Swingcase is great for easy accessibility.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rey L.
I have the Bakbox and no I don't find it annoying having to flip back my cover to access it. I have things in there that I need once or twice a week. Having the bed extender didn't allow me to try the swingcase but I prefer my current setup.
Originally Posted by AutoAnything
Both are great options, I think the real deciding factors are if you need that tie down point and how much space you need. The BAKBox is probably the better option if you need more space for gear, and the Swingcase is great for easy accessibility.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!
Thanks for your input. I'm leaning towards the Bakbox, as I really do not like losing a tie down location. I don't need them very often, but when you do you really need them. Also, the easy accessibility isn't too big of a deal to me, as I only have items in there that are rarely needed but essential to keep in the truck (tie downs, tow strap, D-Rings, hitch, quick cleaning supplies, tire chains, etc).
Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by redranger04g
Is it annoying folding back your entire cover in order to use the Bakbox?
Much like Rey L., posting above, I dont find it annoying as the items I store there are not a daily need. I could see where it could be annoying though, if I needed to get into it daily.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I have dual swing cases and I like them. Been running for 3 years without issue. I use one for jumper cables, vehicle recovery items, and tie downs. The other is filled with the common tools you would need to fix a vehicle in the field. I also carry a hatchet and machete for camping needs. Figure as well if I'm in a location and not carrying its nice to have something for protection if needed.

They are expensive for plastic boxes but having both gives me good storage and when needed to remove they are light enough to be carried by one guy. Technically you reuse the rear tie downs but have to pull out the boxes when you want to actually use the ties. I'm fixing that with bull rings.
Being able to open my tailgate and easily access tools in driving snow and rain makes them worth more than I think the bakbox. I would hate to have to get all the way up in the back just to grab one tool or a tow strap.

I keep tools also in these roller boxes from lowes. 4 boxes fit inside the bed with topper down and the swing cases installed. Allows me to carry all my tools at one time and roll them out and into a job site easily.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-3...ol-Box/3355634

Last edited by Kkline; 01-11-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a pair of swing cases going on 2 years in the back of my truck. I love not having to open my tonneau cover to access them, easy enough to pop out if that extra space is ever needed.

Yes it is difficult to use the rear tie downs behind the cases if you do need to, but i fixed that problem with a set of retractable bull rings in all 4 stake pockets, very handy, and inexpensive.

The ease of access with swing cases, and not having to open the tonneau sold me on them