Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bed shelf

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed shelf

So here's my situation...

I have a cap on my F-150 and am putting in a BedSlide. I would like to also put in a shelf where the bed and cap meet. This would serve a couple purposes: it would deter theft of my tools since anyone peeking in through the cap windows wouldn't see any of them and it would provide a nice place to transport things like sheets of plywood or drywall, ceiling tiles, etc. without them getting damaged. The easiest way would be to cut some 2x4's to length to act as supports across the bed and cover it with plywood and maybe a cheapo Home Depot rug. I've thought about a heavy duty retractable tonneau cover but I'd rather not spend close to $3000 for something that will most likely get beaten up.

Thoughts???
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Underground Rock Hound

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

My old dad built him a shelf using 2X4 and plywood. The shelf nestled into the ledge where the cap bolts to the bed rail. He used it as a bed for camping, and for storage under the shelf. To hold any significant weight you need support posts from the center to the bed floor.

It worked well, and we all traveled back there on camping trips. The cap and truck had sliding windows and a small inner tube inflated between the rear window and the shell blocked out wind noise, so we had clear access through the cab and shell. (mostly for us kids to pass beers to dad on the long trips. Things were different back then).
Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjayf
My old dad built him a shelf using 2X4 and plywood. The shelf nestled into the ledge where the cap bolts to the bed rail. He used it as a bed for camping, and for storage under the shelf. To hold any significant weight you need support posts from the center to the bed floor. It worked well, and we all traveled back there on camping trips. The cap and truck had sliding windows and a small inner tube inflated between the rear window and the shell blocked out wind noise, so we had clear access through the cab and shell. (mostly for us kids to pass beers to dad on the long trips. Things were different back then).
Just out of curiosity, did you get a new dad?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Underground Rock Hound

Originally Posted by MurderFX
Just out of curiosity, did you get a new dad?
No. I'm old, he's my Dad and much older, so he's really really old..
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjayf
No. I'm old, he's my Dad and much older, so he's really really old..
Haha, I feel you. Glad he's still around to tell me how I've ruined another perfectly good vehicle tho.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jjayf, that's exactly what I was trying to describe. I wish I could figure out a way to make it easily removable in case I need to put something back there that is too tall to fit either above or below the shelf.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Underground Rock Hound

I'd think the best way would be to build it in sections that can be removed. Build a 2X4 frame that folds up with hinges, then cut a sheet of plywood into quarters for the "bed"?

Pops never took his out, but he had an 8 foot box.

Quick Reply: bed shelf