General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera wiring question

Hello, just joined the forum and looking for some advice on wiring a backup camera. I have a 2016 F150 XLT, rwd, equipment group 300A, with no stock options other than the 3.5 eco-boost. I did have the dealer install after market backup sensors as part of the deal. I am looking to wire up the backup camera and in a perfect world I would tap into the trailer reverse light circuit, but alas, my truck does not have the factory 7 pin trailer plug. I had an aftermarket 7 pin plug installed but the installer did not connect the trailer reverse light circuit. I have located the back up sensor control module which is powered by the reverse light circuit, so I plan to tap into that for the back up camera. My question is, at the same time can I run a link from this circuit to energize the trailer backup light pin in the 7 pin connector? While I don't own a trailer with backup lights I understand that some (maybe all) trailers with surge brakes (I sometime rent one of these trailers) utilize the back up light circuit to lock out the surge brakes when backing up the trailer. I do not know what sort of amperage draw this process entails, so maybe I would need to install a relay. What do you think?
Thanks, Mark
Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

I bought a cheap Peak back up camera from NAPA auto parts. It was $60. with a mail in rebate. And I never got my $20. rebate by the way. So it was $80. bucks. I used it plowing today. Works fine. Sticks to the windshield or dash like a GPS. I would of loved to of had the factory indash one . But I'm poor and I bought what I could. A sponcer on the F150 site here has a in dash camera kit I checked with them once it was like $600. complete. I would of needed to hire someone to install as I would not be comtable ripping the dash open.