General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice would be great

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice would be great

So I'm getting my new 4x4 decals later on this week. Any advice on how to do it to come out as straight and even as it can
Old 07-07-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I measured mine how ever many inches below the bed rails I wanted them and however far from the taillights and just marked it with some scotch tape then slapped them on. They may be off by a 1/4 inch but no one can tell.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been considering getting some new 4x4 decals. What kind did you get and where from?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

1. Get a roll of the blue painter's masking tape.

2. Put the tape on the the bed where it "outlines" only the top and one side of the existing sticker/decal.

3. Remove the old decals.

4. Now you have a marker for exactly where/how to place the new decals, and help you get them aligned when you put them on so that they are level.

That's how I did mine ...

Name:  Pic10.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  386.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice and I got my decals from stage three motor sports for $20 not a bad price considering it was free shipping
Old 07-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Blue tape works great as a guide. You can go off the location of your existing decal, if the new one is the same size. I scaled mine up a bit, so I used the top of the bed and the taillight housing as measuring points.

Once you remove the old decal, make sure the body is clean and free of any old adhesive. You'll probably need to use something strong (just be careful -- I had to lightly dab a couple tough spots with acetone on a rag, which can be really, really bad stuff for your paint and any plastics). Wash each side, too, if needed (but don't wax prior to install). Lastly, go over the area where the decal will be applied with rubbing alcohol on a microfiber rag.

Next, I did a trick that was recommended by the guy who made my decals -- I would not have thought it smart; however, it made installation SO easy... Put two to four drops of dishwashing soap in a 16-32oz spray bottle and shake to make a soapy spray. I spritzed it all over the body panel immediately prior to laying down the decal. The spritz gives the vinyl a little slip, and allowed me to rub the masking down with a credit card in order to ensure a 100% bubble-free install. Once the spritz nearly evaporated, I gently pulled off the masking -- and once 100% dry, my new decals were good to go.

Just take your time.

Quick Reply: Any advice would be great