General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-skid coating for running boards

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Anti-skid coating for running boards

I have the factory running boards on my '03 Screw. Once I stopped laughing after watching my son's youtube moment when he slipped on the ice as he fell out of his RAM and onto his butt the other day, I decided to put some sort of anti-skid coating on my running boards since my wife uses them all the time. If I laugh at her slipping like I did at him, I'll get killed!

I was told to shoot them with rhino liner spray, and that would do what I want. I can't find rhino liner in a rattle can, but I found all sorts of other brands. I read a bunch of reviews, and the general feeling I got was maybe they work, maybe not, and that was as bed liners. Some apparently don't even provide anti-skid. I want something that will hold up to frequent stepping on without peeling.

If I have to re-apply it every few months, I can live with that, but I want it to work while it's on, and not peel. Does anyone know a product that will do what I want? I can't afford to buy nice aftermarket ones with rubber pads.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

I used the duplicolor bedliner in a can and it has held up great so far on my fender flares, I have drive thru a lot of brush and not has scratched off at all. planning on using it on my new tool box that I am about to get back from the welder.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been thinking about buying that grip paint that you can get for putting on tile
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by f1504L1F3
I used the duplicolor bedliner in a can and it has held up great so far on my fender flares, I have drive thru a lot of brush and not has scratched off at all. planning on using it on my new tool box that I am about to get back from the welder.
They have 2 different types of duplicolor bedliner in cans at amazon.com. Which one did you use? They have TR250 and BAA2010. One is called Bed-Armor and the other is bed coating. They both have mixed reviews.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

I used this one.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

What about self adhesive treads? You can trim them down to fit where you want then stick 'em on. We used them a lot on board ship and they held up well.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

excuse me for this question,,,, But I always thought that step bars are for looks and protection,,, NOT to step on!
The step bars on my truck are mounted only an inch lower from the bottom door opening,,, so it doesn't make sence to use them as a step to get into my truck cause if I can't lift my foot one inch then i must be a cripple!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by f1504L1F3
I used this one.
This will bubble and peel...tried it 3 times...ruined a set of step bars...take them to line-x
Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Flyinryan517

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It bubbled and pealed cause it wasn't preped right I preped my bumpers right and used rustoleum self etching primer and rustoleum bed liner on my bumpers and it held up just fine I have 1 chip on the front bumper after having it on for a few months
Attached Thumbnails Anti-skid coating for running boards-image-2587650489.jpg   Anti-skid coating for running boards-image-546025545.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma
excuse me for this question,,,, But I always thought that step bars are for looks and protection,,, NOT to step on!
The step bars on my truck are mounted only an inch lower from the bottom door opening,,, so it doesn't make sence to use them as a step to get into my truck cause if I can't lift my foot one inch then i must be a cripple!
Not necessarily. I levelled the front which brought it up 2 inches. Plus the factory boards are about 3 inches below the door opening. They make the difference between my wife lifting her leg to a point where her knee remains below her hips. Without the boards she has to lift her leg to the point where the knee is above her hips.

Quick Reply: Anti-skid coating for running boards