Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 2013 F150 with dead battery overnight issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another 2013 F150 with dead battery overnight issues.

Have read the many other posts regarding this same problem with same truck on this forum as well as other forums. What I have not heard is any actual follow up or resolution so Im going to attempt to do just that. My story goes like this. Bought (Ordered) brand new 2013 F150, XLT, 4X4, Ecoboost, SCrew Cab, 6.5' Bed, Blue Jean truck from my local dealer in July 2013. Beautiful Truck. Is everything I hoped it would be-power, torque, fuel economy, safety, looks etc. Dig it!!! then after 2,000 miles or about 3 months battery dies overnight on wife while Im gone at work for 48 hours (FF/Paramedic). Get it jumped and all is good again. Was told that nothing left on, doors closed and so on but still blew it off as she or kids did "something" that caused this. Then it happens again 4 more times(always to her while Im at work) over the course of next 4 months or so and that's when we say were going to dealer. Dealer see's nothing wrong with anything and cant replicate problem. Take it back and it happens again shortly thereafter. Back it goes with same diagnosis. This time I say to at least replace battery, but that's a big negative from Service Manager. So take it back and it happens again a couple weeks later 2 nights in a row (again while Im away at work). Truck now has 10,200 miles on it. Now, I of course have been looking and finding tons of similar stories out there online and am getting pretty nervous because apparently all of them end like mine so far. No resolution. So, when I get home on day after it died 2 days in a row and try to take it to dealer again, its dead... Starting to see $40+K flying away out of my wallet. Jump start, dealer, and finally it happens to them too the next day. All diagnostic tests are unremarkable. They have no clue whats up. Battery dies overnight every night on them now, cant locate parasitic draw. Draws within normal specs when asleep or not. They now have contacted Ford Corporate and and are being told they are aware of this problem but also have no clue.
My truck has now been at the dealer for a week now and I am being told that they cannot give it back since its under warranty (thank god) and they don't seem to know how to fix it. They are telling me to expect it to be awhile before I can get it back, weeks? months? They do not have a loaner car for me or any rental car program of any sort. Have contacted Ford Co. Service Dept several times now with my story and updating my story to no avail. Have now "filed a claim" with FORD as per their customer service recommended in order to possibly getting a loaner or rental car. Being told at most they will compensate "a small portion" of the rental car. Meanwhile I still get to make my monthly payments and pay for insurance on this truck that I can no longer even have. WTF????
Ok, so yes I have now contacted an Attorney who specializes in Lemon Law cases. He is collecting all of my service records and is going to update me soon on what happens next. My plan here, besides venting and getting this off my chest to Im certain a larger and larger group of folks, is to update this story so you can see for yourself how this works out. I feel sick about every part of it at this point, such a nice truck. Ordered it to all my specs after waiting my whole driving lifetime to be able to do such a thing and now its come to this. Maybe by doing this it will help some of the rest of you out with making a decision if your having same problem.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
northflguy (05-21-2016)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Question

yeah, several other threads on this..... Did you ever get the "BATTERY SAVER MESSAGE" on any of your LCD screens? That's where it starts.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. Nothing. No warnings, no reason for it to happen.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Douda13 ...
And some of those "stories" that you heard / read included ...
  • leaving the key in the ignition after exiting vehicle.
  • leaving appliances plugged-in
  • not charging the battery correctly.
Does any of this apply to your situation(s)?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

If they can't fix it in a week then force their hand on the lemon law.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was getting the Battery Saver message on my screen. Once I saw it I unplugged my SCT Livewire and I haven't seen it since. Tested battery and didn't see anything worth worrying about.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Not trying to be an ***, but I had the same thing going on.. Wife would use my truck When I would be on call for work and be gone for hours on end without even touching my truck. My wife would call and tell me the battery on the truck is dead and she would have to use the key to open the door to try and start it... Long story short we went to dinner one night and when we got back home I noticed she was leaving the vanity mirror open, so I asked her are you leaving that open when I'm gone? And she replied " I don't think so?" That explained it all. Maybe you should make sure or ask her if she is turning interior lights off, vanity mirrors, and shutting the doors all the way, also another way to kill the battery is to switch the headlights from auto to fully on.

On another note, my wife's range rover killed four batteries in 6 months one which was a yellow top. Very odd.. as I made sure all lights were turning off. Did some research and found out the the head unit draws constant power from the battery all the time because when cd's were playing after when you turned the truck off it would save the current spot of the track and resume upon start up. Then the range "super locked" and would not open nor let me in haha so I had to crawl under the truck to jump start it from the starter wire.

90k Range Rover and stupid BS like that happens.

50k F150 and found the problem was my wife.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

Glad to see you have an attorney....ford is well aware of the issue. On the other hand I have left my parking lights on all night (8to 10hrs) on 3 separate occasions and the truck started right up. Keep us up to date because others are experiencing the same issue. I bet your wife is pretty upset too.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I noticed that the battery in my '13 is wrapped in insulation. I wonder how much this contributes to the problem? Battery insulation is only useful in extreme cold.. In hot weather those things do nothing but shorten the lifespan of batteries. Im thinking of removing mine.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

jgiddy - I noticed that the battery in my '13 is wrapped in insulation. I wonder how much this contributes to the problem? Battery insulation is only useful in extreme cold.. In hot weather those things do nothing but shorten the lifespan of batteries. Im thinking of removing mine.
They're standard on all the 2009+ F-150s.

You're -correct- it is insulation. Have you ever measured the engine bay temp'?

Would assume that the battery is cooler in the summer than the engine bay.

BUT ... Will confirm that tomorrow using a no-touch laser thermometer.

Quick Reply: Another 2013 F150 with dead battery overnight issues.