General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Not Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Not Charging?

I have a 1978 Ford F150 351W. It's been quite a project...
I believe the alternator is not charging the battery. Battery is brand new Interstate battery and the alternator is new also.

This may be a dumb question, but on the alternator it says always replace the voltage regulator when changing the alternator...could that be the problem? Also, wondering if corosion on the wires and connections going from the alternator to the stator (the stator is not connected to the starter on this model, it's located under the hood by the battery)??

any other ideas on how to get it charging?

I have a battery charger that tests alternators too, and it says "fault" when testing it.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
Casey
Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Groping About in the Dark:

The older vehicles had several different schemes for the charging system. Your best bet is to find a schematic, wiring diagram, for your ride and see what kind of regulator is employed. In any case, the alternator output does not connect to the starter. If anything, it will go the +12 volt system which includes the battery (+).

If there's an ammeter on the dash, then the alternator output goes to one side of it, or one of the wires that goes to the ammeter; the other wire from the ammeter will go to system (+)12 volts.

Sometime during the middle seventies solid-state regulators were introduced. Your '78 may have an old-fashioned relay-type reg. If it does, then a newer solid-state reg should be installed, or go to an alternator with a built-in reg.

You will need a wiring diagram
, so that's the first thing to get....or an old-timer who has broad experience with the older vehicles.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply! I've got my eye on a voltage regulator already. In the time being, I have a generator in the back, just in case it goes out on me again a few miles from the farm. I've done that walk too many times!

thanks again!
Casey

Quick Reply: Alternator Not Charging?