Sponsored by:

Advice, which is good which is bad? Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 PM
biilw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice, which is good which is bad? Troubleshooting

basic troubleshooting steps.

1) Confirm and duplicate the problem. Find out under what circumstances this problem occurs and when it goes away. It is one of the single biggest problems a mechanic faces as a customer will say something like I have a vibration. The mechanic is left to figure out the rest on his own.

2) What else is affected by this problem. While it may seem like not a factor to you, the more details of what happens when problems arise the better. For instance: you have a vibration on the highway at 50 mph, the steering wheel starts shaking back and forth, plus the dash seems to vibrate like a massage chair. Both are equally important points that need to be detailed.

3) Narrow it down to the original failure. The first thing you see wrong is not necessarily the problem. You found that your rear tires are worn. This caused and out of balance situation and that resulted in the vibration. You need to look at the bigger picture. Why are the tires worn? Are they prematurely worn? If yes figure out why. Could be as simple as not rotating them. Or you could have worn suspension components. Maybe someone replaced the suspension but did not align things properly. The simple answer here is just to replace the tires and have the new ones balanced. Rarely is that the whole story though. You may not figure that out until some time later when the problem arises again.

4) Once you have found the original failure you need to look at other potential problems this has caused. Did it wear out my front tires? Did it cause any steering components to need replacing. As well once you have found any other potential problems you need to start the troubleshooting over for that failure.

5) You need to replace all defective components. Do not replace only half of the failed components unless absolutely necessary. If this is the case do not sacrifice safety in anyway EVER. You also need to replace the rest of the failed parts as soon as possible. Remember when one thing fails it never ends there. Once something needs replacing the next part of the system is doing extra to make up for the failed component.

6) Confirm that the problem is now gone. If you were not able to replace all failed components then this step may have to wait. Another reason to replace ALL failed parts.

7) This is the single most important part: Perform regular maintenance and system checks. The best way to fix these problems with your vehicle is not to have them. While not all repairs can be avoided most will be much less expensive and time consuming if regular maintenance is preformed.

Now good luck!

Last edited by billw; 02-01-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: original post was incorrect.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most people on here are trying to give advice. I dont think anyone is saying this is what the problem was, or is, now fix it. We are all giving our 2 cents as to what he/she is describing as the problem. Many on here may have dealt with the same problem that someone has a question about. I wouldnt say they are claiming to have had the same problem, they 99% of time have. I dont know of many people that will try to answer a question without any clue as to what they are talking about. Im sure along with many others, If I dont know what the fix to the problem would be, I wont get involved. Eventually someone will be able to help them out. I have been helped by many non certified mechanics, and helped many on this site with problems that I have had with mine "or my brothers". In fact, I have yet to have asked a question, and not gotten a correct answer.
There is one big reason I joined this forum, and that was to avoid going and paying a mechanic my arm and leg to have them diagnose a small electrical problem. That was the purpose of this site, along with many others reasons, was to help fellow f 150 owners.
Rarely do I see someone say, this is the problem now fix it. most replies are something like, have you checked this, have you tried that? Or, it could be this. And if someone says, the exact same thing happened to me or my brother, this is what I did, Im hoping hes not just blowin smoke. 99% of the time, the information provided is correct. If it wasnt, nobody would be coming back to this site. Were all trying to learn something from eachother.
So far all advice I have found has been good!

Last edited by cole_ford; 02-01-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:50 PM
biilw

I apologize to anyone who read the original post. It was condesending and arrogant.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

To both members. *****, I didn't feel your thread was arogant in any way. Good strong troubleshooting ideas. To many techs that I have seen, rubbed elbows with, just rag it and flag it. Perhaps thats why I got out of dealership life and went to the private sector where fixing the concern was more important than flagging those hours. Cole, agree with the reasons for this forum, we all have our own reasons. Its really helped me become comfortable with the computor, something that arrived way to late in my life. If I can help with an issue that I might feel aquainted with, great. If, I get an idea or procedure that is new to me, better yet. What ever our reasons are its a great place.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

I hope he doesnt think I was arguing with him. And I see some of his side, but it kinda hit a hot spot when he said, "my brothers did this", cuz Ive used it a few times, and he isnt a member of any forums, so he usually takes it to a very reputable shop(previous ford techs), and gets pretty good advice.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
biilw

Originally Posted by cole_ford
I hope he doesnt think I was arguing with him. And I see some of his side, but it kinda hit a hot spot when he said, "my brothers did this", cuz Ive used it a few times, and he isnt a member of any forums, so he usually takes it to a very reputable shop(previous ford techs), and gets pretty good advice.

Haha.... no I didn't think you were arguing. I was a little PO'd when I wrote that thread in regards to some information that was VERY poorly relayed on another F150 forum. One person in particular was passing along advice that was just bad information with no real reason. He did not try to back up his advice with any facts and as a Journeyman mechanic myself I saw through his B.S. and called him on it. Let's just say he was a veteran on that forum and I was looked upon like a newbie and was ganged up on. Really I could care less, I have pretty thick skin. However it got me upset enough to make those points and then post it on two other forums as well. I realized after reading your reply which was thought out and not argumentative that I needed to re-look at what I wrote and if it was fair to most people on any of these forums which it was not. I just ended up painting a everyone with the brush stained by a few. For that I was wrong. These forums are a great tool for mechanics and do it yourselfers alike.

After all that's why I am still here.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

I agree, I hate it when people dont know what the F@*@ they are talking about, to either boost their posts, or just sound good. If someone told me one thing, and I listened to their advice, and ended up having bigger problems because of something they either told wrong, or something they left out, I would be P.Od, and for someone like you to be ganged up on is not right. Usually you can tell if someone knows what theyre talking about or not.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
biilw

Well thanks guys. Like I said I got pretty thick skin. I moved in to managment about 3 years ago and I tell ya you have to be able to take the heat... hehe any way that's part of the reason I come in these forums... helps keep me on my game, not to mention keep my trucks in top shape.

Quick Reply: Advice, which is good which is bad? Troubleshooting