Acts Like It Is Running Out Of Gas, But It Isn't

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Acts Like It Is Running Out Of Gas, But It Isn't

1996 F150 3L STRAIGHT 6
FUEL INJECTED
FACTORY DUAL TANKS
It acts like it is running out of gas, but it isn't. It stutters just like a carbureted car running out of gas for a few minutes, and then clears up. While it is acting up it dies at a stop, but always restarts.

This dual tank system has no switching valve; the dash switch just switches the pump and sending unit. I put a gauge on the fuel line at the motor and taped it to the windshield, when it stutters and starts running badly, the fuel pressure is right on target. I did this with both tanks.

I had the fuel filter changed, and had the shop hook it up to diagnostics. No red flags there either. He is thinking it is the computer, but still not sure. The shop I have it at is THE most trusted in town, been in biz for years... They have been trying to chase down the problem for two weeks. So far there is no bill, can't charge you if we can't fix it.

So that is why I am here, I need the Ford truck experts out there in cyber space to help us out. Hit me with you best guess!!!!!

Thanks to all of you, and have a great Holiday..
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

I would have said that it was the fuel filter since my dad had the same problem with his F250 but i see that you have changed it already...so basically i have no clue but i hope that you find out the problem since its not fun at all not knowing what is happening with your truck. Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

evap system?

or maby a dirty throtle body?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:25 PM

Default MORE INFO and a question?

By the way, it does the bucking and stalling mostly when warmed up, weather and humidity not an issue. HERE is a new angle on this, has anyone out there had an issue when they switch tanks?? I have run accross a few threads leaning that direction? Well, if nothing else, it will make a nice planter box for my front yard....
Old 12-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation one more thing

I had EXACTLY the same problem ... I changed the filter...the plugs....wires. Had the injector checked and the fuel pump. All was good. The answer was the coil. Changed it and had no more problems. Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
Bought_a_F150 (01-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like there may be a timing or ignition issue rather than fuel.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:57 AM

if he had a timing or ignition problem the wouldnt it take a while to start and start weak and run weak???
my guess is it might be your tb or injectors, seeing that you have done the filter and such
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 PM

sounds like injectors maby 1 maby 2r bad or colgged
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM

a friend of mine had a similar problem. turns out his pissed off x-girlfriend dropped a tampon in the gas tank. sucks it in and starves it for fuel till the engine quits, then floats back out just to do it again a few miles later. annoying! just a thought, good luck.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jkhobson
a friend of mine had a similar problem. turns out his pissed off x-girlfriend dropped a tampon in the gas tank. sucks it in and starves it for fuel till the engine quits, then floats back out just to do it again a few miles later. annoying! just a thought, good luck.
That is one if the funniest things ive heard in a long time!

I'd be pissed

Quick Reply: Acts Like It Is Running Out Of Gas, But It Isn't