General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 f-150 engine swap - block is seized up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 f-150 engine swap - block is seized up

I am doing an engine swap on a 97 romeo 4.6. I got another motor from a 98. Everything is going great but now I'm stuck. The old motor is seized up and I cant figure out how to disconnect the Torque converter since the crank won't turn.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Have you tried turning the motor with a large prybar on the teeth of the flywheel? If it's that seized then that won't work either though. Then you can just leave it on the flywheel and carefully separate the transmission from the engine. Since it just slips into the tranny it will slip out when you separate them but you have to be careful not to damage the tranny pump. You may not have clearance to get the engine out that way so you might have to pull the tranny with the engine and separate them when it's out, or pull the tranny first. Then you can use a wrench to unbolt the torque converter when the engine is out.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default motor pull

leave the converter hooked up, I pulled mine from my expedition when mine was locked up, had to pry the nose up over the core support, but if the ballancer was off it would have came out just fine.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pull the pan and if its mains seized loosen them, if its rods or piston remove rod caps.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got it

Thank you. What I ended up doing, can't pull the pan with the motor still in, I removed the motor mounts from the block, then pulled the torque converter with it. It worked out real well. I did not have the transmission supported well enough but it did not fall.

Quick Reply: 97 f-150 engine swap - block is seized up