General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 F-150 heater core

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '96 F-150 heater core

I've got a 96 F-150 5.0. For the last 6 months I've been smelling antifreeze, and have had to add about a gallon in that time span. I could never see any leaks, no water in my oil, nor had my windows fog up inside. I decided, aginst a few of my friends advise, to add some stop leak to my radiator. I no longer smell the anti freeze, or have i had to add any coolant to my system, but now I have very little heat. I'm sure that just as my friends told me, the stop leak has plugged my heater core. Is there anyone that can tell me, is replacing the heater core a D.I.Y job, or do i need a real mechanic? I am pretty handy with doing other repairs on my truck. (brakes/shocks/oil/filters/etc.)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
bobguitar

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heater core replacement

Terry how coincidental that I just happened to open the forum and I'm about to replace the heater core on my 89 F150. According to my Haynes manual it is supposed to be a pretty painless operation. On my GM trucks it was a real pain in the butt. For my 89 truck, you disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall and plug them up, remove the glove box cover to expose the plenum cover. You remove seven screws on the plenum cover and voilą! The heater core is supposed to be easily removed by pulling it forward and lowering it. I can't speak for your 96, but I'll bet it's very similar. If you don't have a manual for your truck I would suggest going to an Advance auto parts store or AutoZone and buy one. They are invaluable. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Yep - pretty painless. You'll likely spend more time rounding the tools up and putting them away, than you will on the actual replacement. Toughest part of the job is getting the heater hoses off, if they're stuck onto the core tubing. Once you remove the glovebox, it's a straight shot with no obstructions. Definitely have to chalk this up as one of Ford's "Better Ideas".

Also, recommend to get the 'good' core replacement, not the bargain-brand. It's been my experience that the cheap cores do not put out the heat like the better ones. Gets to be a concern on defroster capabilities.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 PM
bobguitar

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I changed the heater core on my 89 F150. It couldn't have been easier. Like the other fellow said, it took more time to gather up and put away the tools. Well that's a bit of an exaggeration actually. The hoses were a pain in the butt. I had extra length on them so I cut them off at the core with a razor. Another tip for removal next time is I coat the tubes of the core with a touch of white lithium grease. They slide right on. BTW the 96 F150 should be the same according to my Haynes manual. Ahhh the warmth!!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Not really big or bad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never have to use the heater, I don't even know if it works. Florida does have some good things about it I guess
Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM
American Pride!!

I need to move further South, cause its coldddd in this Florida.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 AM

Default Heater core 1997

Anyone out there ever changed one in a 1997?
I heard it takes about 12 hrs for someone that knows what they are doing! ( A far cry from being as simple as the older models!)
Does anyone know of anything else that would cause the fog from the vents while running the heater and leaking anti-freeze?
NOTE: Just had one put in last year!!!
Now looks like i am going to pay for it again, if i want to use my heater.
And the one of you guys here was right about it being COLD her in NW Florida!!!
Anyway, i know this is one old thread, but figured, what the heck!
Also, do you know if any of that stop leak crap might keep me from having to fix this tjig again?
ANy help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and hope your trucks are still running strong! (My 97 Lariat has over 250k and still going at it / except the heater of corse!LOL)
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsphoto2
Anyone out there ever changed one in a 1997?
I heard it takes about 12 hrs for someone that knows what they are doing! ( A far cry from being as simple as the older models!)
Does anyone know of anything else that would cause the fog from the vents while running the heater and leaking anti-freeze?
NOTE: Just had one put in last year!!!
Now looks like i am going to pay for it again, if i want to use my heater.
And the one of you guys here was right about it being COLD her in NW Florida!!!
Anyway, i know this is one old thread, but figured, what the heck!
Also, do you know if any of that stop leak crap might keep me from having to fix this tjig again?
ANy help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and hope your trucks are still running strong! (My 97 Lariat has over 250k and still going at it / except the heater of corse!LOL)
Look on youtube... There are videos that show you how to do it in much shorter time...you have to cut the dash open... I just done with on my 02....

Quick Reply: '96 F-150 heater core