Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 f150 manual shift 4x4 problem?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 93 f150 manual shift 4x4 problem?

in june last year i bought a 93 f150 4.9l 5spd, (manual shift) 4x4 with 124,000 miles on it now. in winter i could get my truck in 4low maybe 3 times i could put it in but it was really hard to push the lever down. now it wont go in at all. i crawled underneath and seen that the piece that is supose to push down wont budge at all, i can force that pin around the pattern and it will go in 4 low but i dont want to do that. it is 300$ for one at a dealership. the part comes right off the floor shifter handle in is a round circle with a piece that is supse to push down so the pin can go into the 4low spot. i can get some pic on soon to show you wut i am talking about.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rent the Clean-up Squad:

Well, if it were my truck, I'd be pulling the lever system apart to clean it up and lube all the various joints....goes with the territory when old trucks are purchased.

BTW: If and when you get the tran working right, drain out the lube and replace it with a good equivalent full synthetic lube....I had a stiff-shifting VW Rabbit 4-speed that responded beautifully to a load of synthetic lube
in the tranny.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

well i pulled the part off and it is just so rusted that it wont move. i hit the one end with a rubber mallet and it goes down but then i have to hit it again to get it back to normal. the part new is $300 from dealership. i go to junk yard and get one.

i did replace my fluid in my transmission and i was mad when i looked in the haynes manul it said like 7 qts so i buy reg automatic trans. fluid cause thats wut they recomend now. and i put in and only takes 3 qts. i thought napa and autozoe were correct on capacity. otherwise i would have put in full synthetic. i want diff. full synthetic also. i already have engine that way.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Sep 08' TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get it fixed? I am having the same problem and I was going to try and grease everything up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 f150 manual shift 4x4 problem?