General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Assist, I don't like the alerts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Assist, I don't like the alerts

2013 F150, standard XLT 4.2" screen. I have the 911 Assist turned off, you have the choice for the radio to be interrupted with audio alert or without audio alert, that's your only choices.
For whatever reason, I didn't want the 911 Assist service on and these are the only alternative choices? Even the dealer can't turn off the alerts.
I'm guessing I'll have to turn the Assist on to rid myself of the interruptions in radio service.
Does 911 Assist give you any peace of mind?
James
Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

It gives me a piece of mind, especially when I am the one behind the wheel of the emergency vehicle. We have problems with people not moving out of our way when either I am responding to an emergency or hauling *** to the ED with a patient in the back. Most of the time, and statistics show, that people who do not yield to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching is either the radio turned up loud or they are on their cell phones. So, in my opinion, the 911 alert should be required in all vehicles. Ive seen too many incidents where people hear us at the last second, swerve to get out of our way and either hit other cars, run off the road, and even slam on their brakes which causes a rear end collision. If people were alerted up to a min or two then that would solve alot of problems. When we are running lights and sirens, we are required to stay in the left lane. We pass on the left too. That is to allow more room for personal vehicles to move over to the right lane or slow down to the right shoulder. Its all about safety. Not only for the public, but also for the emergency personnel trying to do their job. Sorry if I came off smart, but after 15 years of experience, its about time something was done. Ive been reading about this warning system for a few years now.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
It gives me a piece of mind, especially when I am the one behind the wheel of the emergency vehicle. We have problems with people not moving out of our way when either I am responding to an emergency or hauling *** to the ED with a patient in the back. Most of the time, and statistics show, that people who do not yield to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching is either the radio turned up loud or they are on their cell phones. So, in my opinion, the 911 alert should be required in all vehicles. Ive seen too many incidents where people hear us at the last second, swerve to get out of our way and either hit other cars, run off the road, and even slam on their brakes which causes a rear end collision. If people were alerted up to a min or two then that would solve alot of problems. When we are running lights and sirens, we are required to stay in the left lane. We pass on the left too. That is to allow more room for personal vehicles to move over to the right lane or slow down to the right shoulder. Its all about safety. Not only for the public, but also for the emergency personnel trying to do their job. Sorry if I came off smart, but after 15 years of experience, its about time something was done. Ive been reading about this warning system for a few years now.
I believe the SYNC 911 assist uses your cell phone to call 911 if your in an accident, and gives GPS location info to help locate you if your incapacitated, not alert you if an emergency vehicle is near you.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by nunyabiz
I believe the SYNC 911 assist uses your cell phone to call 911 if your in an accident, and gives GPS location info to help locate you if your incapacitated, not alert you if an emergency vehicle is near you.
Like onstar? Man i was getting excited.. but.. mark my words.. the other alert system is coming out in the near future.. its already being tested in large metro areas.

Last edited by alsatropine; 08-30-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nunyabiz
...not alert you if an emergency vehicle is near you.
Could you imagine something like that in Dallas? The thing would never quit!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jlsworks
2013 F150, standard XLT 4.2" screen. I have the 911 Assist turned off, you have the choice for the radio to be interrupted with audio alert or without audio alert, that's your only choices.
For whatever reason, I didn't want the 911 Assist service on and these are the only alternative choices? Even the dealer can't turn off the alerts.
I'm guessing I'll have to turn the Assist on to rid myself of the interruptions in radio service.
Does 911 Assist give you any peace of mind?
James
What are the alerts? 911 assist pairs to your cell phone if the airbags deploy, but I'm not sure what the audio alerts are.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM

That why I got confused with the audio alert...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM

The 911 Assist works with your Bluetooth cell phone, in the event that the airbags deploy, a phone call goes out to 911.

I turned the 911 assist off.

Now, 30 seconds after the truck is started, the radio interrupts with a 10 second delay, a visual screen and either a audio voice alert that the 911 assist has been turned off or silence, after 10 seconds, the radio comes back on.

EVERY SINGLE TIME THE TRUCK IS STARTED, THIS PROCEDURE REPEATS ITSELF REPEATS ITSELF REPEATS ITSELF. Get the picture?

James
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by jlsworks

EVERY SINGLE TIME THE TRUCK IS STARTED, THIS PROCEDURE REPEATS ITSELF REPEATS ITSELF REPEATS ITSELF. Get the picture?

James
I'm picking up what you're laying down. Good question, sounds like something they programmed into Sync to get you to use the service.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by blackoval86
I'm picking up what you're laying down. Good question, sounds like something they programmed into Sync to get you to use the service.
It's not a "service" it's completely free, it's pretty cool actually.

To the OP maybe just try turning it on, with it on, when you start the truck a 911 assist enable badge pops up but no noise. This is how it works on my dads 2011 and it doesn't interrupt radio or anything

Quick Reply: 911 Assist, I don't like the alerts