General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 F150 No Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 F150 No Power

I have a 76 F150 that I have recently replaced the battery on. It ran and started great for a while, then was having intermittent issues. I let my mechanic at work look at it and it had a bad solenoid. We replaced it and put new connectors on all the wires going into and coming out of the solenoid. It started and ran great. When I drove it home that night I went to turn it off in the driveway and when I pulled the key out it stayed running. My foot slipped off the clutch and it stalled the engine. I then went to try and start it again and now the truck has no power on ignition turn. I checked the work we did and everything seems fine. I also checked the fuses in which there were a couple of blown ones. I replaced those but still have no power when I turn the key. Help please.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Reach underneath your dash. Your ignition should have a plug on the back of it. Pull that out and look for corrosion. If there's non visible, still try to hit it with air to clear any small stuff. Be careful putting it back in, but make sure it seats fully. Try your ignition again. If it still does it, I'm thinking it could be your ignition itself.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still nothing

I just took out and replaced the Relay switch that comes after the solenoid, and replaced the ignition switch as well, still no power. I looked at all the wires I could see without tearing anything else apart and still could not find the issue. I am at a loss, any other ideas?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

What engine do you have in it?

EDIT** Not sure if it has points or not. Pull off the top of your distributor and look below the rotor. I doubt that could be the exact problem if they are on your truck, but worth a look.

Last edited by Manuellabour247; 08-17-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 76 F150 No Power