General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4WD Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Question

I recently purchased a nice '05 F-150 4WD, auto, v6.

This is the first 4WD I have ever owned. My last one was an F-350 Diesel, Dually which I purchased new in '01 (don't trade too often .
When in 4WD and parking, for example, it is hard to steer and it seems there is a noise up front; feels like the brakes are on.

Everyone I have spoken to says that is "normal" with a 4WD.

Can I get confirmation from some of you who own a like truck?

Thanks a bunch,

Jim
Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes its normal. Your front hubs are engaged and turning tight will feel like its binding. There will be a noise (kind of like resistance). All normal.

When you disengage you may hear a clunk sound as well. That too is normal.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Try not to use 4WD on dry pavement. It's really only meant for lower traction surfaces where the wheels can slip as needed as you turn. Doing so on pavement binds up the drivetrain, which is the cause of those noises and jerky movements.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

^^^ Agreed and for future reference do not use 4wd in high traction situations, especially when turning sharply.

The bind is the difference in turning radius between the front and rear wheels, they are taking a different arc when turning. This means different speeds between the front and rear wheels. In 4wd they are direct coupled in the transfer case so something has to give somewhere. Usually in low traction situation that give is easily done with tire slippage. In high traction situation that is more difficult and puts a lot of strain on all drivetrain components (CV joints and U joints especially).
The following users liked this post:
Bought_a_F150 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanks, Guys.

I never know when I'm gonna need 4WD. Our street is about 6" of snow packed down into a skating rink. Most main roads are rather clear, tho.

However, another snow storm coming tomorrow (6-10" in the valley, not to mention the mountains around), so it looks like a full-time-need for 4WD.

I "know" there must be a big difference in AWD, but don't know what the difference is. The gear-box must be set up differently. Does it only work "as needed"??

Forgot what my manual said about switching back to 2WD. Must I stop?

Thanks again,

Snowman Jim
Old 01-17-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

AWD has a viscous coupling that can engage, disengage and slip as needed.

You can go from 2wd to 4wd or the other way on the fly, no need to stop.

4lo you must be stopped, in Park or Neutral and foot on the brake to go in or out.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

You can switch from 4H to 2H and 4H back and forth at any speed as long as the tires are not slipping.

You only have to stop and shift to neutral for a shift into our out of 4L.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Echo...
Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Use 4X4 as needed, use the dial on the dash to shift back and forth between 4hi and 2hi. NEVER use it on dry hard surfaces. It can and will often bind when turning sharp corners even in slippery surfaces. When cornering all 4 wheels MUST to turn at different speeds. The outside wheels must turn much faster. When in 4X4 the inside wheels are covering much less distance while being forced to turn at the same speed. They WILL slip, they have no other option other than break something in the drive train.

Even in ice a very sharp turn can cause damage. This damage is cumulative, you rarely break something immediately. But parts will wear out much faster. But if traction is good, you can break stuff right now.

An AWD vehicle senses which wheels have traction and sends different amounts of power to each wheel. The ones with the most traction get the most power.

A 4X4 system sends equal amounts of power to the front and rear axle. Then each differential sends power to the wheel on that axle with the LEAST amount of traction. Unless you have a locking diff, then the power is equal to both wheels.

Based on what I'm seeing on this and other truck/suv forums very few people really understand 4X4. Back in the 70's when I started driving 4X4's it seemed everyone understood this. You used 4X4 very rarely. Even in snow you usually only need it to get moving on upgrades, then shift out ASAP. Today with so many AWD vehicles on the road everyone seems to think they can and should use 4X4 all the time.

In reality 4X4 isn't a good system for snow. It is best for off road uses and can be of assistance in snow. But people have been getting around in snow with 2wd vehicles for over 100 years now. The current front wheel drives are usually better in all but the deepest snows than most 4X4's
Old 01-17-2017, 02:46 PM

"In reality 4X4 isn't a good system for snow. It is best for off road uses and can be of assistance in snow. But people have been getting around in snow with 2wd vehicles for over 100 years now".
=====================

NOT THIS PEOPLE .

Thanks again, everyone, for your useful information. I sort of KNEW one should only use 4WD when NECESSARY, but needed clarification about "shifting on the fly". Thanks.

Jim in Id

Last edited by desertjim; 01-17-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Adding a line