General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd vs 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2wd vs 4x4

I would think I'm not the first person to post this, but why not. Ok so 2wd or 4x4 witch do you prefer. I'll start by saying I like 2wd cause they can be $5000 to $10000 cheaper depending on the truck. I also live in a state with snow MI and have never had a issues in the snow. Few more reasons I like 2wd are less parts to go bad, a little better mpg, and can be more fun to drive when your doing stuff that most people would have to use 4x4 to go throw. Sense I know people are going to say something like it better to have it and not use it then to need it and not have it. My answer to that is if I get stuck I know how to use a shovel and if that don’t work I just call some one to pull me out.
The following users liked this post:
WestsydeGuy (05-28-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

HI,

I drove in Iowa snows for 54 years with two wheel drive and most were rear wheel drive. The couple of 4x4s I drove for work just got me in trouble mostly because I over estimated their capabilities. But this time I got 4x4 because my reflexes are not as quick and the back end was getting a little more out of line than I was comfortable with going up the hill from town. Happy i made the switch
The following users liked this post:
WestsydeGuy (05-28-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I've owned more than a dozen trucks and SUV's since buying my 1st back in 1977. All have been 4X4 except one 4X2 I bought in 1983 shortly after I married and hated it. Scrouged up the money to buy a new 4X4 F-150 in 1985 and have never looked back.

If there is any difference in fuel mileage today I can't detect it. Back in the 70's when "Full time" 4X4 systems were common you'd see 1-2 mpg difference. You will see a penalty in mileage with aggressive tires, but with sensible tires a 4X4 is too close to matter.

You don't operate often enough in 4X4 to wear out anything unless you are playing hard off road. In normal use it is a non-factor. Pushing a 4X2 hard off road will break more stuff than easing through in 4X4. You have one extra axle and a transfer case that have to be serviced once every 100,000 miles. An extra $50-$100 every 100,000 miles isn't a deal breaker.

Yes, they do cost $5000 or so more initially. But when it is time to re-sell or trade they retain a HIGHER percentage of their initial value. As long as you spend a lifetime of trading a 4X4 for another 4X4 cost is a wash. When you die, or get too old to drive the last vehicle you own will be worth a lot more if it is 4X4. Insurance and taxes might be slightly higher, but are offset by the higher retained value.

I end really needing 4X4 about 3-4 times each year. About 1/2 of those times are to pull someone else in a 4X2 out of a jam. Not a lot, but certainly worth the difference to me.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

This is strictly for California, not sure how other states work. But there are 3 types of conditions in the mountains for snow. R1, R2, and R3. 99% of the time it is R1 or R2. In both conditions, all 2wd vehicles have to put on chains. Us 4wd people just breeze by the chain control check point.

Additionally, 4WDs historically hold their value better, across all brands.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I for got about the 4x4 holding its value better, but for people like me who drive it tell it dies. I don’t really care sense I'm only going to get $1000 trade in any way. If you were buying a new truck every few years I would agree on getting a 4x4. If I had to deal with chain checkpoints I would say F it and get a 4x4.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:27 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

To me a 2WD truck is as useless as **** on a bullfrog. My first truck was a 2WD F-150 and every time it snowed the truck became worthless. I had to put four sandbags in the bed just to even have a chance at getting around. Since then I've never owned a 2WD again.

I use 4WD all the time. I live in a subdivision and even when I'm backing my utility trailer in the yard (it's very slightly angled uphill) I'll shift to 4-low to ensure that I don't spin a tire and tear up the grass. I use 4-high in winter to get to work and sometimes deliver the wife to work. Vehicles and cars stranded everywhere, and I can cruise by. I use 4-low when launching the boat at the boat dock. I've watched 2WD trucks spin and literally not be able to recover their boats up the wet and slippery boat ramps. I use 4WD to get back into the woods elk hunting. I could go on for days...but the fact is there are so many uses for a pickup truck that you can never experience if you've only got 2WD.

Finding a 2WD truck on a dealership lot around here is like finding a needle in a haystack. Nobody wants them.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft1981SnS
if I get stuck I know how to use a shovel and if that don’t work I just call some one to pull me out.
I have a couple friends like that. I wish they would get 4x4's...........
Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Learned to drive in the U.P. of Michigan during winter with 2WD. Had a 2WD 92 F150 I bought used (six months old - couldn't pass up the price) and it had a 4 speed creeper manual tranny in it. Did okay in the winters in MI (southwest corner) as long as you planned ahead and knew how to drive it.

When my son was turning 16 he was all excited to get his hands on my '92. (I had a company 4x4 by then.) I made him learn how to drive it in the winter, including how to get up our 500 foot driveway that has 2 separate hills in it - the first fairly steep. When he struggled to make it up the hill in winter I taught him about vehicle speed versus wheel speed versus engine RPM and how to feather the throttle to maintain momentum without spinning the tires. He quickly learned how to maintain traction, use fluid motions in steering, braking, acceleration, etc. I'm convinced it made him a better driver.

I have a nephew that moved to this area from the U.P. His first winter visit he slid down the hill and buried his 2WD truck. Came to the door and asked if he could borrow a shovel. I accompanied him down the hill and asked why he didn't just put it in 4WD and he said he'd never owned a 4WD truck in his life and didn't need it. Just went to work with the shovel and a few minutes later rocked it out of the snowbank.

I personally buy 4WD now for the convenience and re-sale value. As others stated, sometimes when I'm backing up my travel trailer or hauling landscape crap up the grass hills on my property it's quicker and easier to flick the switch and get it done rather than "massaging" my way.

Also, as others say, the 4WD systems rarely develop serious issues until very advanced age. (I have an '02 SD that the IWE's are now a real butt-pain at 162k miles.)

If you're confident with 2WD in the winter and drive 'em till they die like you say you do, then stick with 2WD.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

2WD because it is cheaper (didn't want to spent a lot), less stuff to deal with that could break or have to maintain. Buying a truck (or any vehicle) for resale, isn't something I really look at. I look more at the ease of maintenance and reliability.

I work from home if it snows enough in the winter, so that isn't an issue. I don't go offroading either. I bought a truck because I have a mustang and needed a vehicle to carry stuff around if I ever needed to (didnt think it was smart having two cars).

I probably could use a car instead of a truck for 90% of the time I drive it (hardly carry anything or tow). But, it is nice to have because eventually I will need it. This is the same mindset for having a 4x4 for situations, but for MYSELF, I don't need a 4x4.

Just like the other engine choices, you pick the drive-train best for you or that you want.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

I prefer 4x4 just because of how I use the truck. Mountain passes in the winter, a little off-roading and launching boats is all safer and easier with 4x4.

Quick Reply: 2wd vs 4x4