Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 platnium vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 platnium vibration problem

Hello all ,
I am new to the site and need to get some opinions and recommendations about a vibration I am experiencing @ highway speeds. I just took delivery of my 2016 platinum crew cab fx4 with a 5.0 and 6.5 bed about a month ago and have a severe vibration highway speeds . I had the dealer do a new tire swap to
Bridgestone Alenza instead of the hankook it came with. I had these same tires on my 2013 platinum and got 80,000 plus out of them and really liked them.
The dealer has swapped out the tires for another set, roadforce balanced them 3 times now, replaced the driveshaft and no difference . They all agree the vibration is bad and very annoying at speed. They have frequency tested the truck and said it is showing a driveline vibration from the results taken. They have been in contact with the ford tech line and have exhausted all recommendations given to them. Today a ford field service rep came to the shop and checked it out and redid the frequency testing and now says all readings are within fords limitations and there is nothing wrong with my truck. He also agrees it does vibrate but is probably because it is a (rare combination of long bed crew cab and has not heard of any problems with them.) I was told there is nothing else that can be done and should contact ford and express my dissatisfied experience to them and see what they have to say.
I took it apon myself tonight to find another new truck with the same specs as mine and road test it from another dealer and it rides fine. I can not deal with paying $60,000 dollars on a truck and have to live with the vibration as I bought it to travel every weekend 600 plus miles on the highway in comfort.
Has anyone else had vibration problems like I have outlined and found a solution ? Any thoughts on what to do next? Do I have any recourse on getting it replaced or bought back? Someone please help.......
Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Question

Some 13's had it, 14's definitely had it, 15's? and now 16's?

Both 13 and 14 I had both had vibrations, but only around 55. Driver side rear of bed shook as well. Never pinpointed the issue. tires, force balancing, and drive shaft made no different.

Ford engineer finally just told me it was the "harmonics" of this build of truck!

Do you have the two-piece driveshaft?

did you test drive this truck thoroughly before you bought it?

This is pretty typical of what they gave me . . .what you said.
"Today a ford field service rep came to the shop and checked it out and redid the frequency testing and now says all readings are within fords limitations and there is nothing wrong with my truck. He also agrees it does vibrate but is probably because it is a (rare combination of long bed crew cab and has not heard of any problems with them"
Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM

It does have a 2 piece driveshaft and has been replaced already along with measuring the driveline angles. No I ordered the truck and never took up on the highway when test riven.
I have ordered 7 new trucks from this dealer over the years and this is the first bad one.
Test driving the same thing now from another dealer and it goes fine on the highway. Trying to come to a solution or get another truck... Should not even have to be in this position .
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Years ago when the all-new 2004 came out, they shook like a leaf rolling down the highway to the point that a guy in a car behind you could watch the bed on your truck shaking while driving. From what I heard, Ford traced it to the new outboard rear shock mounting they started using. Strangely, they kept building them that way ever since. I have noticed that many used F-150s have stiffer aftermarket rear shocks on them, and it seems to help. Mine had different shocks installed by the previous owner and my vibes are minimal. It would be worth looking into your shocks.

Also, driveshafts, U-joints, bent wheel, sticky brakes, and failed torque converters are pretty common culprits on all brands of vehicles with vibration issues. It seems to affect all three domestic truck brands now days. These much stiffer frames amplify the issues.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by WXman
Years ago when the all-new 2004 came out, they shook like a leaf rolling down the highway to the point that a guy in a car behind you could watch the bed on your truck shaking while driving. From what I heard, Ford traced it to the new outboard rear shock mounting they started using. Strangely, they kept building them that way ever since. I have noticed that many used F-150s have stiffer aftermarket rear shocks on them, and it seems to help. Mine had different shocks installed by the previous owner and my vibes are minimal. It would be worth looking into your shocks.

Also, driveshafts, U-joints, bent wheel, sticky brakes, and failed torque converters are pretty common culprits on all brands of vehicles with vibration issues. It seems to affect all three domestic truck brands now days. These much stiffer frames amplify the issues.
Thanks for the reply but I have been complaining about this from my first trip down the highway 100 miles to now at 4500 miles. No bent rims or anything like that just need to narrow it down I guess.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Exclamation

I've seen it on new trucks! And you could watch my tailgate on the driver side and see if doing a dance. this was in a '13 and a '14.

Originally Posted by WXman

NOT!!!!!!! had a quad cab RAM, smooth as glass, never any shakes (didn't care for the 6 speed 8 speed traddy though).
have a Silverado double cab.....smoothest riding truck ever (even smoother than the ram)...........So its not as prevalent on Ram and Chevy. Not Toyota...Goodness, have you ever seen one of these shake????

But its affected EVERY Ford truck I've owner. It will eventually drive you crazy, and you'll end up getting rid of it!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:55 PM

Let's get back on track here.... It is a new body style 2016.. I had a 2013 platinum before this one and it was great , rode awesome .
After test driving another truck and comparing apples to apples they do not all ride like mine. The test truck rode great. After we did more frequency readings from the test truck compared to mine the are pretty much identical. The only factor that isn't the same is tires.
That being said they have swapped my tires to a set of good years and I will be testing them tomorrow on th highway at speed. I have my fingers crossed it will make difference.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 AM

Exclamation

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Let's get back on track here.... It is a new body style 2016.. I had a 2013 platinum before this one and it was great , rode awesome .
After test driving another truck and comparing apples to apples they do not all ride like mine. The test truck rode great. After we did more frequency readings from the test truck compared to mine the are pretty much identical. The only factor that isn't the same is tires.
That being said they have swapped my tires to a set of good years and I will be testing them tomorrow on th highway at speed. I have my fingers crossed it will make difference.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a similar issue in my Titan about 7 yrs ago. Switched to Mochelin LTX M/S2 tires and they shimmed the rear end. Rode like a Cadillac after that and never had an issue again for 120,000 miles.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Thanks for the reply but I have been complaining about this from my first trip down the highway 100 miles to now at 4500 miles. No bent rims or anything like that just need to narrow it down I guess.
I understand, but because a truck is brand new, that doesn't automatically eliminate bent wheels, bad torque converters, improperly balanced driveshafts, faulty tires, etc. Mistakes do happen in production.

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
NOT!!!!!!! had a quad cab RAM, smooth as glass, never any shakes (didn't care for the 6 speed 8 speed traddy though).
have a Silverado double cab.....smoothest riding truck ever (even smoother than the ram)...........So its not as prevalent on Ram and Chevy. Not Toyota...Goodness, have you ever seen one of these shake????

But its affected EVERY Ford truck I've owner. It will eventually drive you crazy, and you'll end up getting rid of it!
I will strongly disagree here. I just heard two days ago of a guy who bought a Ram...drove across a few states to get it because it was exactly what he wanted...and he noticed a strong vibration. He still hasn't figured out what it is but is leaning toward a possible torque converter issue or maybe driveshaft.

As far as GM goes...their new trucks have rampant vibration issues, to the point where GM has TSBs issued for 2014+ models. Some of the repairs talk about adjusting the engine mounts, replacing shafts, etc. I test drove a 2014 brand new off the lot two years ago and it shook so bad on the interstate that you couldn't even have a conversation with the salesman.

They all shake now days, and part of the reason is the ultra-stiff frames these automakers are using. It really creates an issue with harmonics when you've got a frame that stiff on such a light duty truck.

To the OP... good luck figuring it out.

Quick Reply: 2016 platnium vibration problem