General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F150 3.5L rubbing/vibration noise on downhill coast/brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 F150 3.5L rubbing/vibration noise on downhill coast/brake

I have 2015 f150 3.5 with 22k miles and i can hear/feel a rubbing and somewhat rumbling vibration when coming to a stop on a downhill coast from the front end. Makes the sound in neutral and even tried to throw it into 4x4 to see if the hub was attempting to engage but sound still comes. Have taken it to dealerships to have them tell me they can't recreate the sound or don't hear it but still charge me for diagnostics .. has anyone had this issue or something similar so I can point them in the right direction for figuring out the problem?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Snyder
I have 2015 f150 3.5 with 22k miles and i can hear/feel a rubbing and somewhat rumbling vibration when coming to a stop on a downhill coast from the front end. Makes the sound in neutral and even tried to throw it into 4x4 to see if the hub was attempting to engage but sound still comes. Have taken it to dealerships to have them tell me they can't recreate the sound or don't hear it but still charge me for diagnostics .. has anyone had this issue or something similar so I can point them in the right direction for figuring out the problem?
Were you able to figure out what this was?

I sometimes get a vibration that sounds/feels like tires rubbing (which they are not, stock tires) when i am going 25 mph or less. I feel it in the gas pedal, brake pedal, and steering wheel. It is not a constant thing though.

Does this sound similar to what you were feeling?

I've read a lot about warped rotors, but that doesn't sound like what this is. Dealer told me i needed new tires. That wasn't the problem, but put on new ones anyway and its still there.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you figure this out? I have what sounds like the exact same issue. Same mileage/year etc.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 AM

Default Bearing

Finally found someone who diagnosed the noise at a bad bearing in the hub. Hasn't been fixed yet but they either need to be regressed or replaced. Way to test if it's the bearing is to see if the sound only happens in 2h. If sound does not happen on 4a then it is the bearing.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally found someone who diagnosed the noise at a bad bearing in the hub. Hasn't been fixed yet but they either need to be regressed or replaced. Way to test if it's the bearing is to see if the sound only happens in 2h. If sound does not happen on 4a then it is the bearing.
Thanks for the update!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine only does it in 2H, so I'll probably mention to the garage.

Is there a way to check the bearing with just the wheel off and not taking taking the whole bearing assembly apart? It hasn't made the noise in a few weeks, but it's gone away and come back before.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Bad hub

it ended up being a bad driver side huh after the dealer service department got it to actually fix it.. they said they were able to pin point the noise with automotive stethoscope to understand where the noise was coming from.. they replaced the hub and noise is completely gone