General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 5.0 sluggish motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 5.0 sluggish motor

My 2011 5.0 with 60k miles seems sluggish at times. The throttle response time is slow and when I want to pass someone on the freeway I really have to lay into it to downshift and then it takes off like a bat. Off the line the motor sometimes will bog down and again I have lead foot it to get it to go. Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/701...ar-Tuning.html

Have 1 my self and it really wakes the engine up.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery? Might be a drivability thing with the truck. Resetting will allow it to relearn your driving habits.

Also have you done any sort of tune up on it like plugs and filters?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

What gear ratio do you have?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Have you tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery? Might be a drivability thing with the truck. Resetting will allow it to relearn your driving habits. Also have you done any sort of tune up on it like plugs and filters?
I just bought the truck from CarMax, so no, I have not changed any plugs or filter. I will try disconnecting the battery to seeing that changes anything. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/701...ar-Tuning.html Have 1 my self and it really wakes the engine up.
I've thought about this and have had it suggested before but kind of want to see it in action before doing it. Is it a difficult install or would you suggest someone do it? I'm not a mechanic by any means but can turn a wrench. Plug and play or more extensive?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by liljbakes
Is it a difficult install or would you suggest someone do it? I'm not a mechanic by any means but can turn a wrench. Plug and play or more extensive?
You just plug the tuner in to the OBD plug and follow the prompts. Before you get one though they will ask what your code is for the computer. Once installed it has to go through a relearn process for the transmission. I would recommend data logging it and sending them the data to make sure it's very safe.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

In addition to spark plugs, air filter, and PCM reset ... Clean the MAF sensor
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by liljbakes
My 2011 5.0 with 60k miles seems sluggish at times. The throttle response time is slow and when I want to pass someone on the freeway I really have to lay into it to downshift and then it takes off like a bat. Off the line the motor sometimes will bog down and again I have lead foot it to get it to go. Any suggestions?
hey, this was posted many times and some people swear by it, others say its placebo affect. I can attest that it worked for me and my wifes car. i did this to my wifes car and never told her. the first time she drove it she said to me her car seemed peppier. it worked. anyway. try this and see if it helps, it takes away that initial lag time, not more power but gets rid of that lag time and gets you moving quicker, faster:

"Turn the key to the on position but DON'T start the engine. Now press the gas peddle to the floor SLOWLY and let it come up/back as fast as you can, turn key to the off position. Now do this two more times. Now start the engine and go for a test drive"
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by germanshepherd
hey, this was posted many times and some people swear by it, others say its placebo affect. I can attest that it worked for me and my wifes car. i did this to my wifes car and never told her. the first time she drove it she said to me her car seemed peppier. it worked. anyway. try this and see if it helps, it takes away that initial lag time, not more power but gets rid of that lag time and gets you moving quicker, faster: "Turn the key to the on position but DON'T start the engine. Now press the gas peddle to the floor SLOWLY and let it come up/back as fast as you can, turn key to the off position. Now do this two more times. Now start the engine and go for a test drive"
Wow, I will have to give it a shot. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 sluggish motor