Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 sync into depression

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 sync into depression

Hello

I am a new member here and thought I would give you some thoughts on issues I have with my 2010 f150 FX 4x4. I purchased the truck new in 2010 and paid $2700 for the navigation system called Sync. It started with Version 1.0 and as of today, it still is V1.0. Ford never offered an upgrade and , quite frankly, abandoned all us 2010 owners.

I recently contacted Ford about the issue as I am going to buy a new 2016 f150. Customer support agreed that the problem with the nav system was real, but that they could not solve the problems as they are no longer supporting that system. Aren't they required to? Maps are old and most new phones do not work well or at all with it. Ford promised they would give me employee factory plan pricing on my next Ford. It turned out to be an X plan. Not worth the effort as most dealers will beat X plan pricing every day of the week. My dealer said they would.

So my question is this, "Why should I continue to support Ford?" I could join one of the 2 class action lawsuits against Ford over this issue, but that's not my style and will probably not get me anywhere. I still like the new Ford. I cringe when I think my next company vehicles are going to be Chevy, but that's where I might go.

Has others here had this issue with their 2010 and if so, did you work out a resolution with Ford that did not require a courtroom?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Please elaborate about the Class Action Lawsuit as to what it is about?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddderek
Please elaborate about the Class Action Lawsuit as to what it is about?
I did a little research and the class action suit was in 2013. Probably over now.

Here is a very interesting thread on the development of Sync from the aspect of one who worked on it.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8736056
Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That SUCKS !!!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Well Tom, sync is no better now than it was then, maybe a bit better navigation but over all the whole system sucks so don't feel like the red headed step child, we all got the boot print on our back sides.

Something like nav or sync is not a deal breaker for the rest of the quality built in to a truck. Not for me anyway, should you decide to go else where good luck but remember, in the end they ALL have their quirks as any man made object will.

If I were you I would just stick a Garmin on the glass and go, or use the built in nav on a smart phone, works great for me.

The following users liked this post:
Blank102 (08-22-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Terleski
Hello

I am a new member here and thought I would give you some thoughts on issues I have with my 2010 f150 FX 4x4. I purchased the truck new in 2010 and paid $2700 for the navigation system called Sync. It started with Version 1.0 and as of today, it still is V1.0. Ford never offered an upgrade and , quite frankly, abandoned all us 2010 owners.

I recently contacted Ford about the issue as I am going to buy a new 2016 f150. Customer support agreed that the problem with the nav system was real, but that they could not solve the problems as they are no longer supporting that system. Aren't they required to? Maps are old and most new phones do not work well or at all with it. Ford promised they would give me employee factory plan pricing on my next Ford. It turned out to be an X plan. Not worth the effort as most dealers will beat X plan pricing every day of the week. My dealer said they would.

So my question is this, "Why should I continue to support Ford?" I could join one of the 2 class action lawsuits against Ford over this issue, but that's not my style and will probably not get me anywhere. I still like the new Ford. I cringe when I think my next company vehicles are going to be Chevy, but that's where I might go.

Has others here had this issue with their 2010 and if so, did you work out a resolution with Ford that did not require a courtroom?
Hi Tom Terlesk,

I would like to restore your faith in Ford; we would hate to see you go.

There is an upgrade available (Gen 1 V2.1) for SYNC in your 2010 vehicle; it's a dealership installation only, so I recommend contacting your local dealer if you are interested.

You can also order a map update from our partner, HERE. Check them out: http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Well Tom, sync is no better now than it was then, maybe a bit better navigation but over all the whole system sucks so don't feel like the red headed step child, we all got the boot print on our back sides.

Something like nav or sync is not a deal breaker for the rest of the quality built in to a truck. Not for me anyway, should you decide to go else where good luck but remember, in the end they ALL have their quirks as any man made object will.

If I were you I would just stick a Garmin on the glass and go, or use the built in nav on a smart phone, works great for me.

Rnlcomp,

What's going on with your SYNC? I'm happy to help.

Whitney
Old 07-25-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Rnlcomp,

What's going on with your SYNC? I'm happy to help.

Whitney

Don't waste your or my time on me. Sync is a cruel joke. I'm on v4.4.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

@FordIVTteam

The bottom line with SYNC is that even when working as designed, it's still clunky and feels crippled.

For reference, I'm in a 2014 F150 w/ the MFT system, and am fully updated, whatever version/build that is ... I don't have the time or energy to go look it up.

Mine works as designed, but using the NAV system is near impossible unless you're looking for a local address. Without getting into details, just look at what you can do on Google Maps (and it's NAV ability) vs. what SYNC's NAV does ... On Google, you can just say an address to your smartphone, it finds it, and knows where you are. Then you just say or click the "navigate" button, and it's up and running.

With the SYNC system, you have to play "20 questions" ... and just about all of them require you to provide secondary input (like when it pulls up about 5 different options for the street, and asks you to choose the one that's right) ... and sometimes, it just won't seem to find what you're looking for, even though you know it's an existing place that's been there a long time.

Let's not even get into the dead reckoning vs. gps location aspect of how the SYNC NAV works ... half the time I'm driving on an interstate, it's showing me about 100 feet off to the SIDE of the road, as if I'm driving through an off-road area.

There's no "help" anyone can offer us (like resetting / rebooting the system, etc) ... the only "help" would be a complete rebuild of the NAV system to make it work like Google's does ... or Garmin ... or TomTom ... etc.

Now, I WILL give credit to the phone part of the system ... I can use voice commands easily to call people hands-free ... maybe I speak more clearly than most, I don't know ... but that part of SYNC doesn't fail me.

But, for some reason, even though my phone connects flawlessly to the SYNC system after pairing it, it NEVER auto-connects the bluetooth audio portion ... I have to change to bluetooth audio, and then it tells me something about "There are no bluetooth audio devices currently connected. SYNC is looking for previously paired devices." ... THEN, it connects. You have NO idea how sick I am of hearing that ... NO IDEA.

Again, for reference, I WAS using a Samsung Galaxy S4, and am now using a Galaxy S6 ... both were fully up to date w/ AT&T, Samsung, and Android ... so there are/were no issues with my software needing updating. The phone's hardware is 100% functional too.

The fact that my $52K truck and $800 phone - both only about a year old - cannot talk seamlessly and have the bluetooth audio automatically connect ... AND ... the fact that my album covers do not display on the music app screen on my MFT ... That's just pitiful. There is no excuse for how lacking SYNC is in a vehicle that's as expensive as these fully loaded trucks are.

One more thing ... Whoever it was at Ford Engineering that decided it was a good idea to ONLY have the seat heating/cooling controls on my MFT screen - in lieu of also having physical buttons to turn them on/off - should be fired. That, while a first world problem ... is one of THE dumbest design decisions I've ever seen. It's not like there's no room on the dash or doors themselves to add the physical buttons for control over the seat heating/cooling systems ... NO EXCUSE.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My Sync and Bluetooth connections on my 2009 Ford Taurus work seamlessly.... I am using a Moto X phone, the only smartphone Made in the USA.... maybe that's the difference!?
Old 07-25-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ddderek
I am using a Moto X phone, the only smartphone Made in the USA.... maybe that's the difference!?

Guess again skippy.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...-texas-1251223

Quick Reply: 2010 sync into depression