Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FX4 over reving High RPM's

Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 FX4 over reving High RPM's

I have a 2006 F150 FX4 5.4L. Problem started last winter ( I reside in Canada). When decelerating with foot on the brake and almost at a stop, the RPM's come up suddenly to 0ver 5000 and above. The truck wants to take off and drive itself into the back of whatever I am trying to stop for ( another vehicle, red light, pedestrian. You get the picture). My first reaction is to slam it into neutral, which usually causes the RPMs to drop back to normal and I am able to drive after that. This has occurred 10-15 times in the last year and a half. Only when there is snow on the ground and only when I have the truck in 4X4 high. My dealer is aware of the probelm. They replaced the throttle body last winter. It was good for about a month and then had another episode last March. It didn't occur all summer. It happened again in November shortly after the first snow fall.

My dealers service Dept are as frustrated as I am. Anyone out there experience anything similar? Any ideas? This is getting dangerous!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:29 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by btkoster
I have a 2006 F150 FX4 5.4L. Problem started last winter ( I reside in Canada). When decelerating with foot on the brake and almost at a stop, the RPM's come up suddenly to 0ver 5000 and above. The truck wants to take off and drive itself into the back of whatever I am trying to stop for ( another vehicle, red light, pedestrian. You get the picture). My first reaction is to slam it into neutral, which usually causes the RPMs to drop back to normal and I am able to drive after that. This has occurred 10-15 times in the last year and a half. Only when there is snow on the ground and only when I have the truck in 4X4 high. My dealer is aware of the probelm. They replaced the throttle body last winter. It was good for about a month and then had another episode last March. It didn't occur all summer. It happened again in November shortly after the first snow fall.

My dealers service Dept are as frustrated as I am. Anyone out there experience anything similar? Any ideas? This is getting dangerous!!!!
Sounds like a computer issue. They may have to reflash the computer, also they need to check the wiring to make sure the computer is not recieving a false signal to floor it.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 PM

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, but it had nothing to do with the truck malfunctioning. The brake and accelerator are so close that when wearing my hunting boots, I hit the accelerator while braking. It would make sense that it happened around your first snow.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by btkoster

sounds like its been dangerous for about a year and a half now! I cant believe your still driving it like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 FX4 over reving High RPM's