General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Spark Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Spark Plug Replacement

Quick question...hope someone can shed some light on this...

Going to replace plugs and ignition coils on my 05 f150 5.4. Has 162k miles and plugs were changed in 2009 or 2010 (cannot remember and don't have the service bill handy) right at about 100k. Ford dealer. So current plugs only have the 62k on them.

I thought I heard ford/motorcraft abandoned the 3 piece plug back in 08 for the 1 piece plug....if I had them done at the dealership around the time mentioned...I would assume they used the new 1 piece design. So if I am going to swap them out, should I worry about any breaking? Wondering if I need to get the lisle tool?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Since your truck is an '05 they are still the 3 piece plug (the truck must have the updated heads to have the other plug design which came out in late 2007) assuming that the dealership used the Motorcraft brand (which they should have). But I'm sure that the tech put some anti-seize on the new plugs before installing them. As long as he did there should be no problem taking them out. And make sure to put some anti-seize on the new ones so in another 75K you have no problems changing them.

If you want some insurance about the change, run a can of seafoam in the gas tank before you change them.
The following users liked this post:
HHF150 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Melbeachmoose20
Since your truck is an '05 they are still the 3 piece plug (the truck must have the updated heads to have the other plug design which came out in late 2007) assuming that the dealership used the Motorcraft brand (which they should have). But I'm sure that the tech put some anti-seize on the new plugs before installing them. As long as he did there should be no problem taking them out. And make sure to put some anti-seize on the new ones so in another 75K you have no problems changing them.

If you want some insurance about the change, run a can of seafoam in the gas tank before you change them.
Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. I was unsure since I saw a you tube video of a ford mechanic changing an 05 and saying that newer plugs were the 1 piece design. Would you suggest I get engine to operating temp or start the process with a cold engine?

Also, I have heard once you have all plugs out to turn ignition to burn off any excess carb cleaner that might have leaked in the combustion chamber. How would I go about doing that? Should I disable fuel pump and/or fuse or maybe put the pedal to the floor before cranking?

Thanks again
Old 08-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

How would you burn anything off without spark...just clear the excess with LP air or suck it out with a shop vac ...install the new plugs and fire it up...it may smoke for a few...
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

When I changed mine I did it with a warm engine. Then just as [MENTION=13845]techrep[/MENTION] said I used compressed air to blow out the carb cleaner and pieces of the plug (I only broke one!!) before installing new ones.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Going to buy the plugs and cop's and give it a try without the lisle tool but will call local stores before I start to see who carries it in case I do break one and need to run and pick it up. Just don't want to buy that because this will more than likely be the last plug change this truck sees and hoping that changing them at 62k miles...there isn't a ton of carbon build up to make it harder to get them out without breaking. Only use chevron regular gas and the chevron fuel cleaner every 3k miles. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2005 Spark Plug Replacement