Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 FX4, 5.4L Cam Phasers

Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 FX4, 5.4L Cam Phasers

Here is a quick question. I have the standard cam phaser noise. When looking for parts local parts stores do not carry them. The dealer does at 376 a pop. Jegs carries a kit that does not include the spring for around 260. Any suggestions? I watched the video of replacement and my son is a mechanic and is actually replacing some right now for a customer. It is not a difficult repair just time consuming so should I go for the ford part or the jeg kit and rebuild them?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Your best bet is to go all Motorcraft. You can find mostly complete kits on Amazon and Ebay. They should include timing chains, guides, phasers, tensioners, and timing cover gaskets. When you do this repair, it's a good idea to replace the VCT solenoids with newer, updated ones. Also, seriously consider checking the lash adjusters while you have the valve covers off.
The timing kit costs around $600 if I remember correctly. You can get a pair of VCT solenoids with gaskets for about $100 off ebay.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 AM
dsa

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Your best bet is to go all Motorcraft. You can find mostly complete kits on Amazon and Ebay. They should include timing chains, guides, phasers, tensioners, and timing cover gaskets. When you do this repair, it's a good idea to replace the VCT solenoids with newer, updated ones. Also, seriously consider checking the lash adjusters while you have the valve covers off.
The timing kit costs around $600 if I remember correctly. You can get a pair of VCT solenoids with gaskets for about $100 off ebay.

I have seen several conversations on here where folks talk about updated VCT solenoids. What is updated ? How do you know if you are getting the updated version ? What would the difference be ?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

You can tell by the part number. I think it's the last two letters that signify which version they are. I don't remember off the tip of my head though. I know in one revision, they changed the oil outflow hole diameter, and I think the third revision had something to do with cycle rates, but that could be way off. There is one or two dealerships that sell them in pairs on eBay and will indicate if they are the updated ones or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 FX4, 5.4L Cam Phasers