General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 F150 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150 Issues

First time posting here and wish it was under better circumstances. I've been dealing with the "famous" cam phaser ticking for the past 40K+ miles. I've read the articles and even talked to multiple Ford mechanics who suggested let it go it's just normal with these engines. We'll this past Friday leaving work I get 20 feet out of my parking space and the ticking gets extremely loud. All of a sudden I lose all power and the engine sounds as if it's going to eat itself. I quickly pull into another parking lot and shut it down. No check engine light at this time.

Obviously I'm worried so I pop the hood just to see of there is anything visible to the eye, nothing. So I crank it back on and the ticking sound is extremely loud, engine has a shake and at idle it's acting as if it's losing power off and on. At this point the check engine light has come on. I then call the dealership and get a flatbed to take it there. Unfortunately they didn't get a chance to look at it yesterday extensively but the mechanic said "it doesn't sound good".....we'll that's a no duh moment. The truck has 153K miles on it and normal oil changes/maintenance every 4000 miles. Guess I'll find out tomorrow what the damage is and if it's related tl the cam phasers.

Anyone had a similar experience? Either way I have a feeling it's going to be pricey.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 PM

Update: They are still trying to determine what the issue is. They begun disassembling the engine and hope to have a diagnosis by tomorrow mid day. They think it may be the cam phasers (Surprise, Not) but don't know how much damage has been done.

Interesting how according to the dealership the cam phasers weren't an issue 2 months ago at it's 150K checkup. Have a feeling I'm going to have to make a decision between a new engine or new truck.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 AM

Well got word today and the engine is toast. Cylinder 4 over heated and self destructed. So it's either a new engine $8K (parts, labor, and taxes) or but a new truck and move on. Not sure if I want to drop big $$$ in a truck with 153K. Knowing my luck 10K miles later the transmission would go. Any suggestions? The local dealer has some nice 2014 F150 on the lot. I think I could get a good deal.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

couldn't you drop in a used motor?

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Issues