General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 radio works but no sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 radio works but no sound

I just got a 2004 ftx super crew. It runs great but the radio cut out one day (meaning it was working but no sound from the speakers and the mute wasn't on). I checked all the fuses and they are good. When I pulled out the factory stereo (with 6 cd disc changer) I noticed all the wires have been once spliced into because the wire coating on every wire from the main bigger connector has been cut and pulled back. There is electrical tape over all the wires.
Now I don't know if that is the problem since all the wires look good without any burn marks or melting. But when I just move the wires around then turn it on to test to see if it works. The problem is solved and sound comes out from the speakers. But when I put the stereo back in its place and I turn it back on to recheck the stereo doesn't work. I think the wires are getting smashed cause when I reach behind and giggle the wires sometimes it works but when the truck is turned on and running the stereo cuts out again.

What's the problem???
Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If it works when you jiggle the wires, there is a poor connection somewhere.

Those wires are that are taped, are they spliced?

I would solder them, but some may just twist them together and tape.

Can you test it when the deck is out of the dash?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can test it when it's out of the dash. And the wires aren't cut all the way through... it's just the casing around the wire leaving the copper exposed. Some have more copper exposed than others. I thought earlier today I had it working but as I drove down the street listening to a cd there was a quick crackling through the speaker then no sound again.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing is to cover all those wires. You have no idea what it contacts when you put it back . Also check the plug in the back of the deck to see if it is loose.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

As Gene said, You need to cover the wires. The problem with tape is that once it gets old & brittle it tends to come off. If it was me, I would remove the radio from the dash, cut the wire all the way through, install heat shrink on one end, solder the wires together, slide the heat shrink over the splice and apply heat until heat shrink seals the spice and repeat for all wires with copper exposed. You won't have troubles later on.

Quick Reply: 2004 radio works but no sound