General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ford F150XLT Compression Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2000 Ford F150XLT Compression Problems

Okay, I took my truck to a shop the other day and they said that the truck is not running right because it could be from putting on a Cherry Bomb glass pack and having bad compression. The truck has a 4.6ltr in it. I was wondering if this is true and how could I fix this? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am not fully understanding the opinion, a cherry bomb was placed in the glass pack, exploded and plugged up the thing. If their opinion is that the pack is plugged and not letting the engine breath, then replace it and test. Runs OK, then its fixed. Still no good, their wrong and keep the pack for the future use. An engine has to breath to run properly.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Do you mean that you put on a Cherry Bomb and the mechanic said you don't have enough backpressure? I doubt the lack of backpressure is causing problems, but you can try putting a stock type muffler back on and seeing if there's a difference. How much do you know about cars? Do you think the mechanic is trying to take you for a ride?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Yes I have a cherry bomb on the truck. Then a while ago the truck started not going to well (shacking, no power at all and wont idle right) so the guy at the shop said it doesnt have good compression and that it might be the cherry bomb. But i like the sound of the cherry bomb so do you know of a more stock muffler that sounds good?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Just leave the Cherry Bomb on. It doesn't have anything to do with compression. Take the truck to a different mechanic. This one sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Eh, suggest you take the ol' BS-flag and stuff it in the mechanic's pie-hole.

Perhaps being a bit too brazen here and going out a bit on the proverbial limb - just don't see how an exhaust problem would cause a compression issue - an intake restriction, yes - but exhaust? Just not understanding how.

On the other hand - engines are supposedly 'tuned' to run with a given amount of backpressure. Essentially, engines are nothing more than internally-fueled air pumps, and in general - the more air one can get to move on through - the more performance.

Is this an issue that happened just after the Cherry Bomb install or some other event? Or is an issue that has been building up over time?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:57 AM

I strongly agree with wde3477. The guy that posted this thread, is actually sitting right next to me and I explained that it's just a load of BS. My father put the cherry bomb glasspack on for him and the truck was working fine for quite a while and it just started acting up latly. I explained that if you have no muffler at all and no cat's or anything (straight piped) how much better it sounds, and adds to power too. But, it is illigal but so friggin wicked, lol. Anyway, he understands now and realises is was just BS getting told to him about the cherry bomb. If anything, the cherry bomb would of helped the flow of emissions and bettered the engine. Someone could correct me on this if they wish. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I thought anyway.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant tell for sure until you go into it..(the engine)..but if it was shaking real bad and loss of power and on the compression was there no compression or little compression? Could be a bad valve, sticky valve etc.

I dont think putting a cherry bomb on there is going to hurt compression at all.

the only time an exhuast is going to hurt is if it is clogged up or is so short and open that when you get engine heated then turn it off cold air can get to the valves very quickly then that cold harm a valve but that is very unlikely on a street car.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Been out of touch in more ways than one. A cherry bomb is a type of muffler or a brand name? My father had a saying, "to quick old, to late smart". I'm getting real old at to fast a pace. Lets get back to the real issue. What are the compression readings? Maybe the engine is fine and its a tune problem.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 07-27-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Kenosha Cadillac

Cherry Bomb
http://www.cherrybomb.com/
Brand Name (my favorite company)
Moffler shouldn't cause a problem unless its plugged up, and it is pretty hard to plug up a glasspack unless somebody did it on porpoise

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford F150XLT Compression Problems