General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F150 Sputters at acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2000 F150 Sputters at acceleration

My 2000 F150 Sputters at acceleration. I 1st noticed it about 6 months ago, it happened for about 5 mins then didn't happen again til recently after a rainy nite in fog/damp humid a.m at start up for 1-2 min's (It's parked outside). That was 2 wks ago, noticed it ea foggy/damp a.m. But now (I live in so cal, dry, warm, weather now) it's sputtering on surface streets at accelaration. Not just from a dead stop, but more at 20-40mph, or even just cruising at those speeds. Any advice please??
Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Sounds like coils to me dude. Same problem I'm having right now.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Coils, or wires, or, a bad plug. Perhaps a cracked one! You describe exactly what happened to me on the wife's GM and it was a cracked plug.

S
Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea man, I would definitely try the cheaper repairs first. With my luck I would change the coils, dropping four to five hundred when it was only a 10 dollar fuel filter!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Thanks! Makes Sense. I like the part about starting w/ easiest, least expensive options 1st. SO, after I post this Quick Reply, I'll look into replacing/inspecting the fuel filter, Plugs, Wires, Coil etc.
MEANWILE, MY QUESTION IS: How do I find the fuel filter, coil etc?
(FYI - Today is the WORST day, it's been shaking pretty rough any time i'm on the pedal at all, wether it be from a stop, to pass a car, or even just cruising w/ my foot on the pedal. The only time it doesn't shake is when i let off the gas to cruise up to a stop light etc).
THANKS AGAIN! Please offer any add'l info that can assist a "novice" mechanic.
VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Well, the fuel filter will most likely be an in-line filter. So first look at your gas tank, follow the steel fuel lines until they go into a round/cylinder thing. That is the fuel filter. I don't know if you have external spark plugs or the plugs that are under the fuel rails, but if you can follow spark plug wires to the plugs do this. For me it was easier to find them at night. Turn your truck on, go look at each side of the engine, listen for an arching sound and look at the plugs, if they are cracked you will see a little electric arc, then you will know which one to change. For the location of the coils, follow the plug wires from the plugs to the other end, they will plug into the coil. But if you have the "hidden plugs" the coils will be on top of each location of the plugs. I hope for you that it is the filter, by the way when was the filter last changed and how many miles are on your truck?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Thank you paulwest27. Found the F. Filter, but need special tool to get it off, so w/ deal w/ that later. Spark plugs ARE hidden. Could not find Distributor cap anywhere! 'Cuz they're ain't one! I just got back from Auto store (Put f/l cleaner in & filled gas w/ high octane) he looked up and said no dist cap. He also suggested coils. He said one coil per two cylinders. So far after the f/i cleaner (only drove a mile so far) no difference. BTW 102k mi, last Filter change at 90k. Any other info? Thanks again much!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 AM

You said you put F.I cleaner in the tank, have you thought about spraying throttle body cleaner into the intake?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Default Problem solved!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!! Yep! Y'all were correct. It was the Coil for #5 cylinder.
New coil, set of plugs, $430 to the shop, and I'm good to go! Runs great now. Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 AM

Default Same problem

I have a 2002 f150 and having the same issues. When I turn the truck on it studders, when I press the gas it studders as well. This has happened before about a year ago around the sme time frame. I changes out the filter and no results. I talk a mechanic friend of mine and he told me it was due to the ethenal content in the fuel. It produces a lot of condensate when the tank is not full. So when the temp goes down the water just stays in the tank. And that might be the cause of it. He told me to go to wal-mart or a boat shop and pick up a fuel additive they put in boats to get rid of the condesate and fill me tank back up. It worked and had no issues with it till now. So I will take that advice agian and to it to see if it helps. If not i guess i will be back on here. But it may help some of you if you are having the same issue.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 Sputters at acceleration