Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 F150 no start, no shift

Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 F150 no start, no shift

I have a 1997 F-150, 4.6 CID, extended cab that recently stopped pulling in any forward gear. It would not even spin the starter when the key was turned to start. Crossing the starter solenoid on the firewall would start the engine, but still no forward motion in any gear.

The transmission range selector switch was removed and the neutral marks aligned and the engine started and immediately went into reverse. This is not supposed to happen.

I was going to use my hands to see if I could move the selector switch to get the truck to shift into any forward gear but as the transmission immediately went into reverse after the engine started if wonder if the selector switch is bad or the transmission is bad. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:04 PM
The Dodge Slayer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like the cable has stretched, and now the marks are not lining up. May also have a bad neutral start safety switch bad
Old 07-05-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bree
Sounds like the cable has stretched, and now the marks are not lining up. May also have a bad neutral start safety switch bad
Don't think it is the cable. Before I removed the switch I had my son turn the ignition switch to start and slowly move the selector lever from park to 1st gear and the starter never even clicked like it wan't to turn the motor. The only way I could get the truck to start with the ignition switch was to remove it from the transmission and align the neutral marks on the switch. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 F150 no start, no shift