General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 ford f150 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ford f150 starting problem

i have a 1993 ford f150xlt. the truck has a 302 5.0L engine. the problem i'm having is that my truck doesn't want to start unless i put a little gas or starting fulid is the intake. but i after i do that the truck will stay running. i can hear the fuel pump kick on. i can't find any leaks or holes in the gas lines. i've been told it might be my fuel sending unit because it's not building up enough pressure to send the fuel all the way up in to the trucks engine but i haven't tryed to replace that yet. so let me know what you think it is.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board.
Not sure what to suggest, but the sending unit is a reasonable guess, given your description. There are some great mechanics here and one of them should be able
to give you a little more assistance.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a real humdinger
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Initial Test for Fuel Pressure:

Originally Posted by dirtbiker545
i have a 1993 ford f150xlt. the truck has a 302 5.0L engine. the problem i'm having is that my truck doesn't want to start unless i put a little gas or starting fulid is the intake. but i after i do that the truck will stay running. i can hear the fuel pump kick on. i can't find any leaks or holes in the gas lines. i've been told it might be my fuel sending unit because it's not building up enough pressure to send the fuel all the way up in to the trucks engine but i haven't tryed to replace that yet. so let me know what you think it is.
This response references my '92 F150 5.0L service manual:
Measure fuel pressure at the injector fuel rail and look for the following:
KeyOnEngineOff: 35-45psi
KeyOnEngineRunning: 30-45psi
Limit fuel pump on-time to 3 minutes to avoid pump overheat.

If no fuel pressure, the FDM, Fuel Delivery Module, located in the fuel tank needs attention.

There is a diagnostic procedure, but it's too involved and lengthy to post on this site.

If you don't have access to a service manual, then go to www.alldatadiy.com and purchase a year's subscription for you truck ($26.95). It's a pretty good online manual about equal to any OEM CD manual I have. I use alldatadiy for my '97.

BTW: Your truck electronic system should be EEC-IV/OBD1....get yourself a code scanner, Actron CP-9015 for Fords, about 35 bucks, and run some scans
of the system. A code might show up that can get you started in the right direction for a fix.....(not dope of course).

Last edited by Kattumaram; 07-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 1993 ford f150 starting problem