General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 F150 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 F150 starting problem

Went to start my F150 the other day. Barely turned over, so I jumped it. The next time I tried to start it, the same thing. I put the battery on a charger, read Full Charge, but still wouldn't turn the engine over. Put in a battery from another car and it started right up. The next day, I tried to start it and the relay would only click, no turn over. I replaced the relay since it's cheap and it still clicks. Could it be the solenoid? I read you have to replace the entire starter/solenoid unit because the solenoid can't be replaced separately. Thoughts? Is there something else I should check before I replace the starter? If I do is it best to get a rebuilt or brand new?

Last edited by hambone; 10-30-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

The starter relay is mounted on the passenger-side fender inside the engine compartment.

The starter can be pulled and taken somewhere like AutoZone for testing. Rebuilts are fine, just don't go for cheap.

May want to have a load test done on your battery. If another battery fired the vehicle right up - may be worth checking out.

Suggest to ensure good cables and connections - don't forget about the ground.

Order? Suggest battery, cables/connections, relay, starter.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 AM

You need to look back and try to remember if when you tryed to start the engine was your engine hot and were you driving around a while before trying to restart the engine?

I have had so many problems with that same model trucks electrical system it isn't evan funny. Get back to me with the answer to the question you asked me because if you say yes to my question I no your the problem 100%.

First of all make sure all of your connections are as tight as possible and there isn't one spec of corrosion on the battery terminals and/or the starter solenoid the smallest corrosion thaqt you think dosn't matter does so get rid of it... Make sure the wire from your starter to your solenoid is not corroded as with the other wires connected to the solenoid. If the truck is turning over it is not a solenoid or starter. If none of this works then its your alternator it is not charging the battery.

Also to test your starter the old fashion way instead of wasting time and gas going to autozone just hook the positive to your starter and ground it, if the gear spins it works.

Make sure your alternator is charging the battery!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 PM

Default 1989 F150 starting problem

Sorry I haven't replied until now.

I ended up taking the starter off.

I had already replaced the battery which now I'm sure was okay-waste of money #1 and then replaced the starter relay or solenoid which was cheap.

I took the starter to be tested and it was bad. I bought a good rebuilt starter since I don't run the truck all that much.

Hooked everything up and presto! it started right up.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. This forum is awesome!

Thanks again wde3477 and 420pimp!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

And thanks for the follow-up - it's always good to file your findings for future reference on how the problem was solved.

Quick Reply: 1989 F150 starting problem