General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 ford f150 runs rough shortly after warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 ford f150 runs rough shortly after warm-up

I bought a 87 ford f150 2wd 6cyl automatic cheap. I have replaced the head ( it was cracked 5 out of 6 cylinder) head gasket, vacumm lines, Distributer cap, rotor, plugs, wires, exhaust/intake gasket, phlenum gasket, fuel pressure regulator, I have put sea foam in oil and gas.
I am in need of know how, the truck ran really crappy after replacing the head, I then checked the vacumm lines found a bunch of leaks so I replaced them all. ran a little bit better but still missed.
After warm up it would miss really bad , discovered fuel pressure regulator was bad and gas was going into vacumm lines. replaced
Now the truck runs fine for about 10-20 minutes then if you come to a red light and try to take off fast it goes but is missing. if you go slow it coughs intermintally. checked spark plugs they are a golden brown
All I have is a Haynes manual and it talks about checking codes w/ a multi meter. Does the check engine light come on if there is a code or not? the only light on my dash is the rear anti brake Light and it does not go out.
The other lights come on when you turn the key on but then they go out when the truck starts.
I would appreciate any feed back on how do figure out what else is wrong, oh I think i hear exhaust leak so tomorrow I will double check exhaust /intake manifold gasket in case I missed a bolt. The tourqe is only 23-32 lbs so I don't think that could be the issue maybe though.
Akadan

Last edited by akadan; 04-20-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: forgot a symptom
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing Running bad Miss fire or something. Ive checked everything with a meter and gonna read codes today. If you have any ideas or solutions please fill us in. New TPS, ABV, MSD Cap & Rotor, Wires, Plugs, Fuel tank, Low pressure pump, High pressure pump, Fuel Filter.... Not running my air pump and ports blocked, No egr vacuum line hooked up or emission junk, Just using vacuum for the Brake vacuum, Fuel pressure regulator, Map Sensor, Heat Controls.

Quick Reply: 1987 ford f150 runs rough shortly after warm-up