General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Volt Air Horn Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 12 Volt Air Horn Installation

So one of the two horns on my truck decided to quit working and now my horn sounds like something you'd hear on a motorcycle. Instead of just replacing it with a normal stock one I was thinking about getting a 12 volt air horn thing like this...

Not like a Mack truck horn but still different than a stock one. My question is this. Instead of having to go through all the normal wiring process with relays and another switch, could I instead strip the wires going to my current horns and use that power to operate the air compressor? I feel as if that would make the wiring portion of the installation simpler and I wouldn't have to have another switch in the cab because the air horn would just use my normal horn switch. However I am worried that the wires don't carry enough power or are too thin to carry enough current to work the compressor properly. I know this is an odd question but are there any thoughts on this one?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

No you cannot wire it directly like that, that horn compressor motor will not operate properly because of the amount of current draw it will require compared to the stock horn.

Follow the installation instructions included for the proper way to wire it.
The following users liked this post:
zmadams (10-29-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmadams
So one of the two horns on my truck decided to quit working and now my horn sounds like something you'd hear on a motorcycle. Instead of just replacing it with a normal stock one I was thinking about getting a 12 volt air horn thing like this...

Not like a Mack truck horn but still different than a stock one. My question is this. Instead of having to go through all the normal wiring process with relays and another switch, could I instead strip the wires going to my current horns and use that power to operate the air compressor? I feel as if that would make the wiring portion of the installation simpler and I wouldn't have to have another switch in the cab because the air horn would just use my normal horn switch. However I am worried that the wires don't carry enough power or are too thin to carry enough current to work the compressor properly. I know this is an odd question but are there any thoughts on this one?
I had a set of those and barley lasted a yr the compressor rusted on the inside.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by zmadams

I used a Big Bad Max horn from Wolo. I am pleased with the tone and volume ~120db. It will get attention and its legal. I know train horns are very nostalgic however they are illegal in every state. They can be used in off-roading however there is a "noise ordinance law" and "driver distraction law" both of which they violate. Don't know if you're leaning that way...just an FYI.
Here is the link to Wolo.
http://wolo-mfg.com/
It is not a plug and play install, none are, since on the late model F150's Ford uses a unique contact plug. Easily remedied as I went to a local junk yard and pulled a horn and plug-in contact harness for $20. I threw away the horn and kept the contact harness. (This because I didn't want to use my stock one since I may change it back at some time). Use liquid electrical tape to fill in the first two contacts (several coats to fill it in) from the harness plug to eliminate the chance of corrosion and because you don't need them. Cut off the last contact since you only need the wires to strip back and crimp on some female spade connectors (don't forget the shrink tubing to make a nice watertight connection). Mount the horn in the stock location (I used a "L" bracket I bought at HD) plug in the harness to the stock horn connector and plug in the spade's to the horn, reverse them if no sound, and you have a nice factory look horn.

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Air Horn Installation