General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11' 3.5L Chirping Noise While Running

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 11' 3.5L Chirping Noise While Running

Okay, two weeks ago I started to hear a high pitch chirp while in traffic or drive-thru's with concrete walls. My breaks where low so I thought maybe at idle and rolling it was the brake pad sensor annoying me so I would change them.(I did including rotors) Well the noise started to become noticeably louder in these situations. Everyone thought I was crazy since my truck has been a nightmare. Now two weeks later the chirp is so loud I hear it with out it needing to bounce off concrete to project it. The noise is not at cold start and listed to the timing chain with a scope, makes almost no noise. The alternator also sounds normal, charging normal as well as battery, bearings are good. Direct injectors also sound good. The truck only makes this noise when motor is at running tempeture, the scope to left turbo significantly louder then right turbo. However boost and boost pressure is normal, also looked at cats left and right with computer they are functioning normal.
Could this be turbo bearing? Or what!? I have a video of truck doing this.
I drive a lot, and I mean like a **** ton so I always allow a couple minutes to allow my truck to cool because of the turbos. When the truck starts making this noise I can leave the truck off for up to an hour and when I restart it the noise is still very loud. The noise doesn't go away until the truck is 100% cooled.
And if it is my turbo what happens if it blows, like would I be broken down on the side of the road?! 🤔😬😢

Last edited by Catelyn.Rose; 11-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Post a link to the video, I'll give it a listen and see if I can help.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Idler arm pulley.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:05 AM

Old 11-18-2016, 05:29 PM

I solved the answer, the high pressure fuel pump is junk. However I did go to ford first and they told me to drive it until it ****s to the point of a code. I have slight misfire because of this and the left turbo is deff going bad because today when at concrete barriers and walls I can hear a whine that sounds like a drill bit.

So so if anyone else has this problem just listen to it with a scope the fuel pump has a thick rubber thing ontop as well as the motor cover which is why it sounds like the noise is coming from left lower.