General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 or 2 lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1 or 2 lockers?

i got a 93 f150 4.9l 5spd 4x4 and am wondering about lockers. i have 3.08 gears open diff. and 31 in tires. do i have to buy a locker for both front and back diffs., or can i just get one for the rear? if i just need one that would be awsome cause then a save alot of money. i know what kinds are out their from other threads.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run one or two, either in the front or the rear. I would do the rear first then the front, but that is just personal opinion. A Selectable locker is best in the front axle because it makes it hard to make tight turns when 4 wheel drive is engaged. If you your planning on re-gearing do it the same time you get the locker put in, otherwise you will be paying twice for pretty much the same job.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Resident Dinosaur

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have one in the front or the rear already?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM

i have none right now. i will probably do the rear. i like the 3.08 gears good for gas milleage. i wanted to put like f250 diffs in. maybe 3.55ls. but i would have to do the whole axel cause the housing looks bigger. for the f250's and that would be alot to do. locker would be nice cause then in winter i can just use 2wd with weight in bed.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Resident Dinosaur

Originally Posted by |WYG|SS
i have none right now. i will probably do the rear. i like the 3.08 gears good for gas milleage. i wanted to put like f250 diffs in. maybe 3.55ls. but i would have to do the whole axel cause the housing looks bigger. for the f250's and that would be alot to do. locker would be nice cause then in winter i can just use 2wd with weight in bed.
I get good gas mileage (89 F150 4.9L M5OD 4x4) with 3.55LS front and rear. Around 17 usually.

With a 4x4 LS F&R is the best way to go.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM

I forgot to mention something... Be very carefull if you are running a full time locker like a detroit or Powertrax lock right in the rear. They make the rear end slide around on ice and slippery conditions. Example: your at a stop light and go to drive forward instead of just spinning a wheel and not going anywhere, your rear will slide to the left or right when the locker engages. This also makes it very dangerous on the Highway. The locker will more than likely lock up like its supposed to if you hit a patch of ice or snow, if your not in Four wheel drive things can get very squirrely. This happend to me in my Jeep Driving on I-90, I had just broken my front differential the day before so I didnt have four wheel drive, I was driving slow down the interstate about 35, 40 because it had snowed the night before and there were slick spots, I hit a patch of ice, locker engaged and around I went, rolled over into the ditch, landed on my wheels luckly! It happend to me again on 1-70 in the Mountains, but luckly I had and engaged 4wd as it was happening and it straightend out the jeep. Just something to think about for those that live up North. I know when its crappy out your going to use 4wd which will mostly eliminate this from happening, but in the winter you can think all is alright and be flying down the highway in 2wd and hit a slick spot. If this is a daily driver I would highly recommend a selectable Locker like a E-Locker or ARB, OX, Ect. I had front and rear lockers in my jeep and in four wheel drive with both lockers it handled like it was on rails on snow and ice covered roads. 2wd rear locker horrible!

Last edited by skates04; 11-01-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM

i want to get LS. i see a jusnk yard has the axels all pulled off of trucks and i see a 3.55 ls from an f250 but the diff. housing looks big. i would have to change both front and rear axles. and i would pay some one to do the front cause of allignment and tie rods and other stuff that would probably make me mad. i know rear would be easy. thats just the thing is that it will cost me a lot to get the front done cause like i said alignment, tie rods if they have to replace them, and other stuff.

if i just get one locker put in the rear does it matter when its in 4x4? would i mess up front diff.? it would be more like 3x4. i would get an e-lockers or something else maybe. thats all im curious about is that the rear will just have the locker and front will still be open diff. this would be cheaper for me.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Resident Dinosaur

Originally Posted by |WYG|SS
i want to get LS. i see a jusnk yard has the axels all pulled off of trucks and i see a 3.55 ls from an f250 but the diff. housing looks big. i would have to change both front and rear axles. and i would pay some one to do the front cause of allignment and tie rods and other stuff that would probably make me mad. i know rear would be easy. thats just the thing is that it will cost me a lot to get the front done cause like i said alignment, tie rods if they have to replace them, and other stuff.

if i just get one locker put in the rear does it matter when its in 4x4? would i mess up front diff.? it would be more like 3x4. i would get an e-lockers or something else maybe. thats all im curious about is that the rear will just have the locker and front will still be open diff. this would be cheaper for me.
It cost my friend $1400 to have his truck converted from 3.55 open diffs to 4.10LS. They did it all for him, and he was totally satisfied. Its worth it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO I would lock the front and leave the rear. All the weight is in the front and it will have no efect in normal operation only when in 4-wheel drive. Plus you could lock the front and use a spool or miny spool in the rear.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Running just one locker, either front or rear, will not have any negative effect on the vehicle I agree with just putting one up front, Put a lock right up there for a couple hundred bucks, and you can install it your self because you don't replace the carrier

Quick Reply: 1 or 2 lockers?