General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09' FX4 with hail damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09' FX4 with hail damage

I've been visiting this forum for sometime now but haven't ever contributed. Well I have a question now that my pickup has bad hail dents in the hood and roof. This is the nicest pickup I've had the pleasure of owning and we have had one of the worst summers for thunderstorms producing hail. I've managed to dodge most of it, but last tuesday my luck ran out and the golf ball sized ice cubes from the sky really messed up my hood. I was curious if I could get my insurance company to pay for an aftermarket hood instead of a stock replacement? anyone tried this before? and if so what hood should i look at getting??? I really like the cowl or ram air hoods.

thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt you could get them to pay for an aftermarket hood. You might be able to get them to give you a check for the replacement cost of an OEM hood and you could pay the difference for the aftermarket one.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

the insurance company is only going to pay for either a new oem hood or to get the dents removed out of it, plus the price of a paint shop painting it. its your choice if you want to spend that money to buy an aftermarket hood instead of an oem hood.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM

that's kind of what I was thinking. anyone know what an oem hood w/paint usually runs for an 09?
It's going to be a long time before I can get pickup fixed from the sounds of it. All the local body shops are turning away business because they are so booked with hail repairs. One of the guys at work had his pickup and wife's car totalled a month ago from hail and this past storm broke the windshield out of his wife's new car.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

im not an insurance adjuster so idk about the price, maybe you can give ford a call about the hood, and a paint or body shop about the paint
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

For golf ball size hail it will have to have well over several hundred dents to justify it being replaced.

Paintless Dent Repair is a fantastic thing and requires no paint work or extra labor. 99% of the time, this is what the insurance company will pay for. Hail will NEVER break the paint unless its just some god awful size, so the PDR work can be done and bring the panels back to good as new condition.

I used to be an insurance adjuster and dealt with this all the time. It really did take over 200 dents at time to a hood or roof to justify replacement because PDR is so easy to do and impossible to tell any damage was ever there.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM

UPDATE>>
So after meeting with the adjuster last Monday I have already received his report on what needs fixed on my pickup and there is alot more damager than I thought there was...... The hood needs replaced and the roof may need re skinned depending on what the body shop thinks. The dents that I didn't see were the ones that are on the drivers side where the hail stones put small creases going down the fenders and doors. He said those are easily fixed. But my question now is where can I buy an aftermarket cowl hood and grille? The hail around here has been bad enough this year that the local body shops are booked out 8-12 months right now. So I'm thinking about ordering the parts I want on my pickup and then taking it to a shop about an hour north of here to have everything installed. I did find one steel cowl for about $400. and they allowed me 800 for a hood replacement so that gives me $400 to have it painted still. this is one like i'm looking at. http://www.gcustoms.com/ref707700-20...b9ad24921c1329

thanks

Quick Reply: 09' FX4 with hail damage