General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 fx4 trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 fx4 trans problem

have 05 fx4 had a little shake when I would first take off then would go away thought it might have been a u joint. Now sometimes it dose it just a little or sometimes slips more sometimes not at all. Also from 40 to 55 if I let off the gas it seems like it wants to down shift or feels like a little slip. A friend told me it could be solinoids in the trans . just would like some ideas before I spend 2 grand on a new trans and maybe I don't need to. thank you it also is a 5.4 with 152000 on it

Last edited by gpw44251; 04-23-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

it could be solenoids in the trans... I doubt u joints but crawl under there and shake the drive shaft anyways... it will be pretty obvious. not sure if this could be it but i've heard there can be quite a bit of play in the rear end that could cause some feeling of shake.

if it were me, I'd change the plugs and cops if they haven't been done recently... a lot of people think they have trans issues and it turns out to actually be related to these... if that doesn't work, i would do a few trans pan dumps but make sure you get some miles on each change so you get the cleaning effect from the oil... also you might see stuff in the fluid beyond light shavings on the magnet that can help you narrow down if it's truly a trans issue (but that's no guarantee if you don't see them)

Quick Reply: 05 fx4 trans problem