Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 f150 fx4 5.4 timinig solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '04 f150 fx4 5.4 timinig solenoids

About a month ago this started,,,

i left my house, drove it for about 10 mins, went to turn off of a main round into a neighborhood and my truck began to run "very" rough to the point where it died. Re-started and it was still running rough and shaking like a muscle car w/ a big cam in it...went to where i was going then went back home, still running rough....did some ready on here and came to the conclusion that it was my cvt solenoids...ordered a brand new set w/ seals from a ford dealership on ebay, they were oem factory parts....replaced both and the truck ran perfect...about 3weeks later out of the blue it happen again, now i was confused,, I did some more reading on here and read about the cam positioning sensors, swapped those out, no luck... so i took it to a very respected retired ford mechanic who does work at his home..he had it for a few days and called me to say that there was an issue again w/ the cvt solenoids, explained that the only codes that where showing pointed only to the solenoids and that i needed to remove them, clean the hell out of them, clean out area where they going into motor and put in a quart of marvel mystery oil to help breakdown the sludge that could be clogging up the solenoids. He also said that it wasn't the cam phaser because if it was it would run rough all the time.

So i pulled the solenoids out again and cleaned, no change, still runs rough,,not rough like a fouled plug but rough like the timinig is off,,but it does not do this all the time...like i said earlier, if i leave it sit over night or for a few hours it will start and run fine for about 10-15mins then its all down hill after that.

Any help for ya'll would be greatly appreciated, becaue this is very frustrating,,, thanks in advance

Quick Reply: '04 f150 fx4 5.4 timinig solenoids