Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

What can I expect? 2014 F350

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I expect? 2014 F350

My brother is Rig manager in the oil field and always gets a new truck every few years and I asked him what he would sell me his current truck for. He said he would sell it in a year for $20000 Canadian and will have about 180000kms on it. Its a fully loaded 2014 F350 Lariat Fx4 diesel. $80000 truck off the lot. Is this a sweet sweet deal, also how are the diesel engines on these? How many kms can I expect to get out of it? The truck is in amazing condition as he treats it well, of course will have higher mileage, but all highway, pretty much. I just want to be certain this is a good engine and a good buy. Seems like a great price, but wont be if these are trouble some engines like I have heard Ford diesels were. He has had no issues, but he says he misses his Cummins, his only real complaint was Fords weather stripping, says he had no issues with dust on his dodge, but this truck gets so dirty inside the cab so fast when he is on gravel roads. I am not so much worried about that as i drive no gravel Have they fixed the issues with these engines? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

that price is not bad for that truck at that age and miles. from what i read the 6.7 Powerstroke is the diesel motor where Ford finally got their stuff straight. they are pretty much "bulletproof" right off the lot. plenty of torque and power to haul whatever you may need to and they (like most diesels) are very easily modified to get BIG power out of them. as long as you maintain it correctly (oil changes, filters, fluids, etc) that truck should last you many more years and miles. as long as you dont get a truck with the 6.0L or 6.4L Powerstroke you should be fine.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM

Thank you, that is exactly the info I wanted to know.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

No idea why he would sell it at such a loss, those miles are nothing on a diesel. Either he isn't too bright or he just flat out doesn't need the money and wants to give you the deal of a century because it's easily worth double that, probably even more that that. Hell you could probably drive it for a decade and still sell it for more than you paid for it.

I'll buy it if you don't.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

^ because the guy probably gets paid for his mileage and the truck is already paid for x 3 and well, because he's his bro, right?
sounds like a good deal, even if you have to put $10k in it to keep it fresh in a year or 2!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

The thing that kills modern diesels is all the emissions junk that is mandated. If he removed the EGR, SCR and DEF then that is a good deal. If not, then you know you have a good expense if you want to keep it long term.

The 6.7 is a good motor, not as strong bottom end as the 6.0 and the 6.4 due to no bedplate (girdle). One thing I have no idea why ford did not do.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 PM

yes the truck is paid for by mileage and all fuel is also paid for seperately by his company.the truck is a tax write off. So if he sells it and makes profit, he just has to claim that little bit of profit anyways and get half of it taken away in taxes. So it doesnt really matter to him as long as he isnt in the hole. When he told me how much he got for the trade in on his Dodge, I was shocked, and thats when I said, I will buy the truck you have now. Thats how the deal started! I just moved onto an acreage too and I now haul my own water, over ten cords of firewood a seaon in our outdoor wood boiler, so cant wait for the one ton, super excited! I currently own a 06 F150 fx4 super crew, so I have paid attention somewhat to ford trucks over the years, and I guess its probably true, you only get to read more bad comments on the internet. But let me tell you it makes you scared to sink $50000 - $90000 on a brand new truck! I also follow reponuts youtube channel and he has rebuilt his engine twice now on his tow truck! So I just wanted to make sure these still werent duds. Pumped for this option. Thanks guys
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Do all the deletes, do the head studs, upgrade the rad and maintain it. It will run forever. The emissions crap will still give you a lot of problems.

Also, DO NOT chip it. I blew my turbo up because it came with an aggressive tune. I didn't play around with the tuner but my turbo still went. I got it replaced because the salesman told me that it was still warrantied. It was NOT but they covered it since I just bought it.

Bulletproof it, do your deletes and get it set up to run proper afterwards. After that, you will have a wicked motor that will run forever. There's too much emmisions crap on these new ones to be as reliable as an old diesel unless you get rid of it all.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sportster07
Do all the deletes, do the head studs, upgrade the rad and maintain it. It will run forever. The emissions crap will still give you a lot of problems.

Also, DO NOT chip it. I blew my turbo up because it came with an aggressive tune. I didn't play around with the tuner but my turbo still went. I got it replaced because the salesman told me that it was still warrantied. It was NOT but they covered it since I just bought it.

Bulletproof it, do your deletes and get it set up to run proper afterwards. After that, you will have a wicked motor that will run forever. There's too much emmisions crap on these new ones to be as reliable as an old diesel unless you get rid of it all.

This is the 6.7, not the 6.0. No need for head studs. Ford used 6 head bolts per cylinder to clamp the head down, instead of 4.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by snobdds
This is the 6.7, not the 6.0. No need for head studs. Ford used 6 head bolts per cylinder to clamp the head down, instead of 4.
i second this. the 6.0L was a terrible motor period... lol. i owned one for 3 years and thats about all i could afford. dont get me wrong, it was a total workhorse when it wasn't broken down. CRAZY sounding turbo whistle (my favortie thing about the 6.0L)

sportster07: Also, DO NOT chip it. I blew my turbo up because it came with an aggressive tune. I didn't play around with the tuner but my turbo still went. I got it replaced because the salesman told me that it was still warrantied. It was NOT but they covered it since I just bought it.
chipping alone wont necessarily blow up your turbo. chipping it with a +150-200hp tune while running a stock exhaust is when you start blowing stuff up. if you're wanting big power out of a diesel its recommended you also delete the DPF, Muffler, and Cat as well as getting a 4+ inch turbo back exhaust.

Quick Reply: What can I expect? 2014 F350