Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Tune

After reading an arrival in diesel performance I was about to pull the trigger on an H&S mold tuner and intake dyno results were sick. Then on a forum I saw some guys saying that a tuner without deleting will cause the dpf to clog all the time. Is this true? Article was actually written for guys that wanted to keep smog system in tact
Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm looking for real world user feedback on this subject too.

What I've researched is that the more soot produced the more frequently the DPF clogs up requiring a shorter regen interval and more excessive use of DPF fluid. The more aggressive the tune, the more the soot. Some folks with deleted DPF running mild tune only notice minor "hazing" while others with more aggressive tunes are rolling coal. You have to imagine the particulate filter is exposed to this when the DPF system is in place. One researched post claimed a regen every 100 miles and burning through DEF every 500miles!

Last edited by xcntrk; 06-12-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most PSD owners who have tuners and other performance mods also do the DPF and EGR deletes. If you're considering a tuner and intake, they really work best with the deletes. As word of caution, I've multiple threads where 2011-2014 PSD owners complained of the turbos being destroyed with the H&S tuners. I have chosen not to do any deletes or performance mods. I've had no trouble with my PSD, and the 6.7L PSD has amazing power stock and more than what I need.

Quick Reply: Tune