Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Swapped out the head unit (radio) in my '01 F250, bout time

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped out the head unit (radio) in my '01 F250, bout time

I just got back from a 1300 mile road trip in my '01 F250 running the stock radio / CD / cassette player. I decided it was time to upgrade.

These days everyone carries all their music on iPods, MP3 players, and cell phones. I wanted a head unit that could handle all of these.

The removal and install of a new head unit was a 2 hour job and that's taking it slow and double checking. I'm guessing it could be done in a half hour by the third time you do one. Swapping out a radio is sure a lot simpler and cleaner than the last time I did this (about 30+ years ago).

I picked a single DIN radio going into a double DIN hole so I still need to do some trim and mounting work, but the install and hook up went smooth as silk.

The sound is great, the connectivity to different devices kicks butt. I can play off my iPod, phone, my son's phone. It has a remote so passengers in the back can fight over switching songs and changing the volume. It's way cooler than stock.

I put together some quick videos of the head unit removal, connector build, and install. Should be visible here:

New Radio for an Old Truck » Tech Spin

Radio Install YouTube Playlist

Out with the old head unit.

Here is the new head unit, a Pioneer DEH-X66BT, bluetooth, MP3, full iPod control, AUX input.

Here is the new radio installed. The radio is a single DIN going into a double DIN hole so I'll need to make a mounting block and fix up the trim.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I have a very base unit I am going to swap out eventually.

Quick Reply: Swapped out the head unit (radio) in my '01 F250, bout time