Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Rust on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Rust on wheels

I have an F250 that I purchased about 10 months ago. The last four months I have been traveling extensively and haven't driven it much. Had it detailed today and noticed all my wheels are suffering from some rust on them. Sure hope that isn't a common occurrence when it gets driven 500 miles in four months and sits in my driveway. I put less than 5000 miles a year on the truck.

Any suggestions on best way to clean it up? Would this be covered under warranty?

I appreciate any input!
Attached Thumbnails Rust on wheels-20160104_102604.jpg   Rust on wheels-20160104_102559.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Just the front 2 wheels ??
Old 01-04-2016, 02:36 PM

Sorry, it is present on all four.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

From a web posting:
Rub a dub dub - A simple solution
A simple and inexpensive way to remove rust from and polish chrome surfaces by hand is to rub it with aluminum foil dipped in water. This process yields two advantages. First, since the aluminum foil is softer than steel, it will not scratch the surface. And second, a by product of the process produces a fine metal polishing compound that smoothes the chrome surface to a bright shine.
Geek Stuff - Oxides are the key
Cleaning rust is basically oxidized metal or another words metal that has taken on extra oxygen atoms. As heat is generated by the friction of rubbing the aluminum foil on the chrome, a portion of the aluminum will oxidize to produce aluminum oxide. Aluminum has a higher reduction potential (i.e a tendency take on electrons and in the process reduce or break itself down) than the chrome, and will therefore leech oxygen atoms away from any rust on the chrome surface which changes the chemical properties of the rust and breaks it down.
Polishing aluminum oxide is harder than steel, and the microscopic grains of aluminum oxide produced during the cleaning process creates a fine metal polishing compound which, mixed with the water you added, creates a paste that smoothes and polishes the chrome surface.
In English - How it works
A common way to clean a rusted chrome surface such as a fender is to use a fine steel wool. However, when you use this method you have to use a lot of elbow grease and you still end up with a slightly dull surface with some amount of scratching not to mention the messy 'dust' left over from the steel wool. That's because you are physically scraping off the rust.
When you use the aluminum foil method you are dissolving the rust chemically so you don't need to rub nearly as hard and since the aluminum foil is softer than the chrome, you are left with few if any scratches. This method also allows you to get the rust out of some minor pitting without having to dig into the surface.
The aluminum oxide that is created by friction when you rub the surface of the chrome leeches the rust away and when combined with the water you added creates it's own polishing compound so you end up with a clean, smooth, shiny surface.
Step by step - By the numbers, people
1- Cut the aluminum foil into small squares. 3" by 3" should do.
2- Wipe down or wash the surface to remove any surface dirt.
3- Dip a square into some water or sprinkle some water on it and spread it around on the surface of the foil.
4- Cup the wet square over the surface you want to clean so you get a nice even coverage.
5- Start rubbing a 6 or 8 inch area and remember you don't have to rub very hard. As you rub, you'll feel the surface get smoother and smoother until the foil just glides over it. You will also notice a light brown paste building up. This is the polish that results from the chemical reaction.
6- When the surface is nice and smooth and you have polished it, take a clean cloth and wipe the polish off.
7- Once you finish cleaning and polishing the item you need to cover the surface to protect it from the elements. At a minimum you can wipe it down thoroughly with a clean cloth. Since cloth inherently contains some amount of oil, this will give you at least some protection.
The best method would be to use a small amount of chrome polish or maybe something like turtle wax or an equivalent kind of wax or polish. Make sure you wipe the surface down with a paper towel first instead of a cloth because paper doesn't contain any oil so you will have a clean and dry surface for the wax or polish to adhere to.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe mcmillan:
SkiSmuggs (01-05-2016), vitacura (01-07-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a detailer I see this everyday. I live in Canada where we see lots of snow where we use sand and salt. This in turn makes vehicles rust easy. I use "F1" as well as some alumimaze. F1 is aluminum polish that is easy to use. Alumimaze is an acid Which dissolves the rust leaving just the clean chrome behind. But with the acid. you have to be quick and not let it dry on the wheel. Also have water handy at all times.
The following 2 users liked this post by melissaandave:
SkiSmuggs (01-05-2016), vitacura (01-07-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

0000 Steel Wool will also clean this up.
The following users liked this post:
vitacura (01-07-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Appreciate the input. Will give some of these ideas a try this weekend, although sad to see the condition of the wheels after less than a year of ownership here in FL.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. For reference these are the 20" Chrome Clad Cast Aluminum wheels.

I tried a few generic tire and wheel cleaners to no avail. Then I used windex and 0000 fine Steel Wool with great results, wheels look new again! Now I just need to polish it up and make sure to stay on top of it and not let it get to this point again. Thanks to all!
Attached Thumbnails Rust on wheels-20160107_140601.jpg   Rust on wheels-20160107_143007.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Marcusjolaine (01-13-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

They look like new now.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I spray CarPro Iron-X on my wheels. It can also be used on the paint(esp white trucks) to remove the brake dust rust from the clear coat. It's great stuff, buy the 32oz or 5L because once you try it, you'll keep using it

Quick Reply: Rust on wheels