Questions regarding the 6.4L and myth about the 6.7L? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > Super Duty Forum
Log In 


Questions regarding the 6.4L and myth about the 6.7L?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Red-Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Camano Island WA
Posts: 3,241
Thanked 146 Times in 143 Posts
Default Questions regarding the 6.4L and myth about the 6.7L?

Pretty soon I'm going to be in the market for a new truck, still undecided if I want to make the jump to diesel or not yet. I'm looking into this 6.4L that everyone hates and says is a horrible engine, can anyone point me in the direction as to why it's a bad engine? Everything I'm reading points at the DPF as the main cause. I don't live in an emissions area so I don't need to pass any tests, could I buy a 6.4L, take the DPF out and be good? If so, how hard / expensive is it? Is it simple cutting it out and replacing some pipe? Also does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to completely delete the emissions stuff? The end goal is really to have no DPF, no EGR, etc.

Now onto the 6.7L. I hear it's supposed to be the long awaited replacement for the 7.3L and stuff like that, but my issue is I don't want to have to buy another fluid (being DEF). Again I don't live in an emissions area so I don't need it, however I hear that if you run out the truck will go into a safe mode not allowing you to drive after X miles. Anyway, the myth in question is can I just pour water in the DEF tank? I've heard a couple people say you can, yet I've never talked to someone who has. If that's going to lead to damage, any idea on how much it'll cost to remove the DEF system?
__________________
'13 Fusion
DAD'S '79 BRONCO BUILD
SOLD:
'99 F-350
'97 F-150
Red-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


-->
Old 06-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 554
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Ford View Post
Pretty soon I'm going to be in the market for a new truck, still undecided if I want to make the jump to diesel or not yet. I'm looking into this 6.4L that everyone hates and says is a horrible engine, can anyone point me in the direction as to why it's a bad engine? Everything I'm reading points at the DPF as the main cause. I don't live in an emissions area so I don't need to pass any tests, could I buy a 6.4L, take the DPF out and be good? If so, how hard / expensive is it? Is it simple cutting it out and replacing some pipe? Also does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to completely delete the emissions stuff? The end goal is really to have no DPF, no EGR, etc.

Now onto the 6.7L. I hear it's supposed to be the long awaited replacement for the 7.3L and stuff like that, but my issue is I don't want to have to buy another fluid (being DEF). Again I don't live in an emissions area so I don't need it, however I hear that if you run out the truck will go into a safe mode not allowing you to drive after X miles. Anyway, the myth in question is can I just pour water in the DEF tank? I've heard a couple people say you can, yet I've never talked to someone who has. If that's going to lead to damage, any idea on how much it'll cost to remove the DEF system?
Haven't owned a 6.4 so I will leave that to someone else. As far as using DEF fluid. It is very cheap to put the fluid in a few times a year. I believe you are overthinking that part. Good luck.
jcb206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,746
Thanked 461 Times in 379 Posts
Default

6.4- DPF issues, rocker arms, injectors, melting the 7 and 8 Pistons, egr coolers, bed plate leaks, over all it was a pile of **** Watch a guy on YouTube called power stroke help. He goes in depth on these issues




The early 6.7s had turbo issues And no you can't add any other fluid to the DEF system. It will sense it and plus if gets too low in the system it will shut the truck down. But DEF is cheap so just use it Plus removing the emission systems is highly illegal and if you get stopped by the DOT then they will fine you like crazy and impound your truck
__________________
2016 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.0
1968 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Landau 429CID V8 1 of 950-Weekend Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeDaily View Post
There are a lot of armchair experts on every subject 'round here.

Last edited by djfllmn; 06-29-2016 at 03:00 PM.
djfllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djfllmn For This Useful Post:
Red-Ford (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,746
Thanked 461 Times in 379 Posts
Default

And if a 6.4 had any filters on it other than motorcraft run far away quick. I've seen after market filters cause motors to fail
__________________
2016 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.0
1968 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Landau 429CID V8 1 of 950-Weekend Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeDaily View Post
There are a lot of armchair experts on every subject 'round here.
djfllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Red-Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Camano Island WA
Posts: 3,241
Thanked 146 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
6.4- DPF issues, rocker arms, injectors, melting the 7 and 8 Pistons, egr coolers, bed plate leaks, over all it was a pile of **** Watch a guy on YouTube called power stroke help. He goes in depth on these issues




The early 6.7s had turbo issues And no you can't add any other fluid to the DEF system. It will sense it and plus if gets too low in the system it will shut the truck down. But DEF is cheap so just use it Plus removing the emission systems is highly illegal and if you get stopped by the DOT then they will fine you like crazy and impound your truck
From what I've been reading the melting pistons is due to the regen process trying to burn out soot from the DPF. If I just take the DPF out would that solve the issue?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is a rocker arm and bed plate? I've heard of a rocker arm, though I have no idea what it is and I've never heard of a bed plate.

I know DEF is cheap, I think it's about the same price as diesel at the pump but it's just another expense I don't want to deal with. If it truly is a modern day 7.3 (as far as reliability), then I'll have no problem with DEF lol. Does anyone know if the 6.7 needs to be worked hard? I know a diesel engine is meant to work hard, but there are a few like the 7.3 Powerstroke and the 5.9 Cummins that people say are daily drivable without a load, yet the 6.0 Powerstroke needs to be towing or hauling. How is the 6.7L Is it alright if it's just going back and forth to the store without a load? The reason I ask is because my "local" jobs are upwards of 500 miles away and at least for the first few years it will have to be my daily. Later on I'd get a car and the truck would be there for when I want to go camping. The whole point in my looking at a 3/4 ton+ truck is because I want a trailer or camper.
__________________
'13 Fusion
DAD'S '79 BRONCO BUILD
SOLD:
'99 F-350
'97 F-150
Red-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,746
Thanked 461 Times in 379 Posts
Default

The bed plate is the upper oil pan. That requires the engine to be pulled to fix. It's a several thousand dollar repair.


And don't tamper with any emission stuff if you like your money and vehicle. Those DOT cops will sniff them out
__________________
2016 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.0
1968 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Landau 429CID V8 1 of 950-Weekend Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeDaily View Post
There are a lot of armchair experts on every subject 'round here.

Last edited by djfllmn; 06-29-2016 at 04:30 PM.
djfllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
ford dealer parts guy
iTrader: (1)
 
djfllmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,746
Thanked 461 Times in 379 Posts
Default

The rocker arm is what open and closes the valves as the pushrod pushes against them. They have plastic caps on them that wear off and then you get a hard skip


You have a bunch of research to do before jumping into the oil burner world
__________________
2016 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.0
1968 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Landau 429CID V8 1 of 950-Weekend Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeDaily View Post
There are a lot of armchair experts on every subject 'round here.

Last edited by djfllmn; 06-29-2016 at 04:55 PM.
djfllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djfllmn For This Useful Post:
Floridaguy80 (07-05-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winfield, Ks
Posts: 122
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Never heard of anyone getting fined or vehicle impounded unless they are running DOT numbers. Where are you that they are that strict?


And don't tamper with any emission stuff if you like your money and vehicle. Those DOT cops will sniff them out[/QUOTE]
sloans4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #9
Opinionated Blowhard
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,002
Thanked 163 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Ford
From what I've been reading the melting pistons is due to the regen process trying to burn out soot from the DPF. If I just take the DPF out would that solve the issue?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is a rocker arm and bed plate? I've heard of a rocker arm, though I have no idea what it is and I've never heard of a bed plate.

I know DEF is cheap, I think it's about the same price as diesel at the pump but it's just another expense I don't want to deal with. If it truly is a modern day 7.3 (as far as reliability), then I'll have no problem with DEF lol. Does anyone know if the 6.7 needs to be worked hard? I know a diesel engine is meant to work hard, but there are a few like the 7.3 Powerstroke and the 5.9 Cummins that people say are daily drivable without a load, yet the 6.0 Powerstroke needs to be towing or hauling. How is the 6.7L Is it alright if it's just going back and forth to the store without a load? The reason I ask is because my "local" jobs are upwards of 500 miles away and at least for the first few years it will have to be my daily. Later on I'd get a car and the truck would be there for when I want to go camping. The whole point in my looking at a 3/4 ton+ truck is because I want a trailer or camper.
Dude, if the expense of DEF is an issue for you, then run, RUN away from a diesel truck. Oil changes, filters out the wazu, all add up to high maintenance costs. Plus when it breaks... well, that ain't cheap. You might just want to stock with gas.
__________________
2014 EB SCREW XLT 4X4 5.5 bed Heavy Duty Tow Pkg, Peragon sliding bed cover, 3.73 E-Locker, Bone Stock, Sunset.
Kenferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenferg1 For This Useful Post:
Floridaguy80 (07-05-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
whitescrew77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 898
Thanked 124 Times in 81 Posts
Default

6.2 gassers seem to run just fine. Only thing is they are a bit thirsty for fuel.
__________________
2016 F-250 Supercrew FX4
6.7 Powerstroke Diesel - I like torque!
whitescrew77 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough cold start - 2004 f150 reman engine Bradydonohue 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 4 04-08-2016 06:45 AM
Questions on configuring/pricing XLT BruzerF150 2015 - Present Ford F150 3 04-07-2016 02:00 PM
Hard shift in and out of 2nd gear - question on relearning robotsneedhugs2 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 8 04-06-2016 08:33 PM
Questions on f350 vs 2013 f150 head unit wire harness Massey2489 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 1 04-04-2016 11:11 PM
Replacement leaf springs tomeal 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 4 04-04-2016 08:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.