Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Opinions on the new 6.7L Powerstrokes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Opinions on the new 6.7L Powerstrokes

Hey guys,

Been debating buying a Powerstroke, seems to be getting harder and harder to find half decent 7.3L's so I'm kinda doing my research and looking for people who own the new Scorpion 6.7L. I work for a company that supplies A LOT of electrical parts to Ford, and from what engineers have been talking about, these new 6.7's are just as good if not better than the 7.3's. I just wanna know how much truth there is to that now that they've been out in the public's hands for a couple years...

So I guess what I'm getting at is, to the people that own one, what are your biggest likes and dislikes about it? Any major issues to report? What kind of fuel economy are you seeing on average?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Stay with a 3.5L EB for 13 the exhaust is really getting tricky with the diesel.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2011 6.7 KR screw swb 4wd with 65xxx miles and love it. Haven't had to replace anything. I get 16.5 mpg average with city and highway driving. I also use a 2011 f450 that only tows our cattle hauler/camper conversion with 43xxx miles and average 12mpg towin that heavy sob. I love the 6.7's
Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

IMHO...i would wait another year before buying a 6.7...give them a little more time to work the bugs out...but thats great aggie that it has been good to you
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Sand Addict

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
IMHO...i would wait another year before buying a 6.7...give them a little more time to work the bugs out...but thats great aggie that it has been good to you
I would snag one in a heart beat if I needed a bigger truck. Best over all diesel made to date IMO. We have seen very few with problems and have sold a ton in our area.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

If you pull heavy loads a lot they regen a lot. The fuel system can spray fuel up to 5/6 times every intake compression cycle and operates at upwards of 20,000 psi at times. Regen, due to suet build up in the exhaust is iniated and fuel is sprayed in the back 2 cylinders a lot. This can lead to a lot of diesel fuel getting down into the oil and added heat to the exhaust, some automatically done while some initiated by the operator. Heavy haul/heavy trailer a lot not so good. The next model is supposed to have even more exhaust extras added to it. A liquid exhaust system to help with emissions, so maybe even more added costs. What now with the extreme problems with the coolant filled coolers corrosion and the added cost of aftermarket betters to let be for a couple years. The ECU monitors suet and automatically creats regen or the driver can do it. The added systems seem costly maintenance to the average owner. The Def fluid is extremely corrosive and requires heated system. Maybe not so good for colder climates. More for the owner operator to consider on his plate. The small truck user is just having a ton of trouble in his highmileage future.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-10-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

Don't see why it would regen alot under load as it would already be putting that extra fuel through^. We have a Tier 4 Cat truck with EGR and. DPF and as long as it has enough time under load it won't need a regen cycle. The 6.7 also has an SCR system so it relieves some of those issues but needs an extra fluid in the process.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Ryan

Originally Posted by papa tiger
If you pull heavy loads a lot they regen a lot. The fuel system can spray fuel up to 5/6 times every intake compression cycle and operates at upwards of 20,000 psi at times. Regen, due to suet build up in the exhaust is iniated and fuel is sprayed in the back 2 cylinders a lot. This can lead to a lot of diesel fuel getting down into the oil and added heat to the exhaust, some automatically done while some initiated by the operator. Heavy haul/heavy trailer a lot not so good. The next model is supposed to have even more exhaust extras added to it. A liquid exhaust system to help with emissions, so maybe even more added costs. What now with the extreme problems with the coolant filled coolers corrosion and the added cost of aftermarket betters to let be for a couple years. The ECU monitors suet and automatically creats regen or the driver can do it. The added systems seem costly maintenance to the average owner. The Def fluid is extremely corrosive and requires heated system. Maybe not so good for colder climates. More for the owner operator to consider on his plate. The small truck user is just having a ton of trouble in his highmileage future.
See, this is one of the big things that worries me about the new 6.7's... this whole system I guess is just kind of new to me. I've also heard if you let the def tank run empty on fluid, the truck will idle but will shut off when you put it in gear? Is there any truth to that?

Maybe someone can explain what the fluid is, and how this works a little better?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by rmp213

See, this is one of the big things that worries me about the new 6.7's... this whole system I guess is just kind of new to me. I've also heard if you let the def tank run empty on fluid, the truck will idle but will shut off when you put it in gear? Is there any truth to that?

Maybe someone can explain what the fluid is, and how this works a little better?
The system has been under development in ag and commercial equipment for a few years with the tightening emissions. DEF fluid is urea based fluid used to reduce NOx emissions. It is corrosive and freezes. But for applications such as a pickup where it's not under constant load it reduces the amount of regens needed as opposed to a tractor or truck under constant load so it wouldn't need to regen as much either.

I read somewhere that it goes something like this: when it is cold the vehicle is allowed to run without it till the vehicle coolant can warm up the tank and then start using it. When it runs out it goes into a reduced power mode so you don't damage anything and can get refilled. Most often you get it filled with oil changes and won't need any extra in that period.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Ryan

That's interesting, i've heard of it before but don't really know a whole lot about it... i guess i'm wondering why its really needed? is it to help the new ultra-low sulfur diesels run better? or is it solely to meet emissions requirements?

I'm kinda hoping that down the road they find a delete for it so you can straight pipe these things but with all the emissions standards and electronics in these new trucks i think those days are nearing an end..

How much does that def fluid cost? i can't imagine it's cheap..

Quick Reply: Opinions on the new 6.7L Powerstrokes