Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

New 6.7 diesel fine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 AM
fx2er

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 6.7 diesel fine?

Bit off topic for this thread but I'm curious and I'm sure others will be after they hear this. A buddy of mine told me there's a pretty hefty fine for straight piping the new 6.7s. Is this true? And why is there such a big fine? It's the same as any other diesel once u delete the particle filters and stuff...
Old 02-12-2012, 03:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on where you live it's an emissions thing.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

It doesn't matter where you live. By straight piping any vehicle, you are removing federally mandated equipment. It's a hefty fine if enforced, around $10,000 if I remember correctly. This includes the removal of a cat, DPF, smog pump, etc, on any vehicle.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
just a tough work truck

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

well i had a straight piped 6.4 and up here in ny they dont plug these trucks in for inspection and i had been pulled over 2 times without any giving me a hard time... i believe that $10,000 fine is a myth thats just alil much, i have heard in diff state exp cali they fine but i dont know how much.... o and i know a guy that has a 08 cummins that hauls campers all over the country that just hollowed out his dpf and took egr off put block off plates on and stacked the egr cooler on top of it... so it all looks stock but its just for looks
Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 AM

It's very rarely enforced in most states, but in some states it certainly is. I know a couple of friends of the family that got nailed for it in Wisconsin. They were both running farm diesel, and the officer dipped their tanks. He then decided to do a full vehicle inspection and noticed the modified exhaust. They both got fined pretty good.

I did some quick research and it looks like it's $2500 for the vehicle owner and $25,000 for a shop if they are caught removing this sort of equipment.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't spreadsheet this..

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by klumb15
It's very rarely enforced in most states, but in some states it certainly is. I know a couple of friends of the family that got nailed for it in Wisconsin. They were both running farm diesel, and the officer dipped their tanks. He then decided to do a full vehicle inspection and noticed the modified exhaust. They both got fined pretty good.

I did some quick research and it looks like it's $2500 for the vehicle owner and $25,000 for a shop if they are caught removing this sort of equipment.
How or why would anybody consent to a cop dipping their fuel tank? That seems a bit much.

I understand visual inspections for noise violations, black smoke, etc. But where is there any probable cause to "dip" a tank?

As for the fine, it's a matter of enforcement like most others have stated. Just like running illegal window tint.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
SJP

Received 94 Likes on 90 Posts

I guess down here in south GA they just don't give a damn because I've had 4 diesels and all of them have been straight piped, including my current diesel (06 dmax).
Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by cwrose
How or why would anybody consent to a cop dipping their fuel tank? That seems a bit much.

I understand visual inspections for noise violations, black smoke, etc. But where is there any probable cause to "dip" a tank?

As for the fine, it's a matter of enforcement like most others have stated. Just like running illegal window tint.
I don't believe they need consent. Both were running "farm" plates which is a huge red flag to a cop. All the farmers I know run the red stuff in their trucks so it probably doesn't take long for the authorities to catch on.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
just a tough work truck

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP
I guess down here in south GA they just don't give a damn because I've had 4 diesels and all of them have been straight piped, including my current diesel (06 dmax).
its 08 or newer that only have to worry about the emissions
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM
fx2er

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind f ridiculous bc the diesels run better with less back pressure and they're a he'll of a lot more efficient straight piped.. My brothers cummins gets 20 something on the highway and it's a megacab..

Quick Reply: New 6.7 diesel fine?