Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Need some insight and or advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some insight and or advice!

Guys, Help me out with this one. I am on the verge of going from an F-150 to an F-250 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel. I have been reading the 95 page Diesel supplement to the Owner's manual. Please chime in in this request I'm trying to decide within the next 24 hrs... My concerns are these...
My Daily commute to work is 6.5 miles. I travel in the morning then at Lunch I travel 6.5 miles home 6.5 miles back to work then at the end of the workday I travel 6.5 miles again to go home. Is this type of driving hard or bad for a diesel engine or the Filter in the exhaust? will it cause frequent regen cycles? WIll I have to run the Truck on the highway for 20 to 30 minutes once a week to complete the regent cycles? I do plan on some trips with the truck but daily driving will be my primary use. Should I stay with a Gas engine? Or will the powerstroke be fine with the Exhaust filter. etc?

I just want to make sure I dont have to go 20 to 30 miles or minutes out of my way every week to run it through a regen? there was a truck i test drove today that had 270 miles on it and it started a regen cycle. It made me think about it. Guys chime in here and give your opinions I've neve owned a diesel but was truly impressed with the truck the power and the MPG!

Thanks in advance
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Short trips will force more active regens. Freeway or constant load driving will result in passive regens.
Either method is ok as it accomplishes the same task.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
Short trips will force more active regens. Freeway or constant load driving will result in passive regens.
Either method is ok as it accomplishes the same task.
What is involved with doing an active regen?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Nothing on the driver's part.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Passive occurs when the exhaust temperature (during normal operation) is hot enough to correctly accomplish the regen.
Active regen will tell the computer to dump extra fuel into the motor to get exhaust temperatures to spike so its hot enough to regen. This'll result in lower MPG, naturally.

Also, just like a gasoline direct injection motor, a diesel (which are all DI) needs to have a chance to reach operating temps in both trans and motor to accomplish some other much needed tasks, such as burning off water in the oil etc.

Quick Reply: Need some insight and or advice!