Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

Mid 90s diesel vs gas burner

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid 90s diesel vs gas burner

I need some help on deciding on a truck. I have been looking at mid-1990s 1 ton trucks, both diesels and gas burners and most are around 100k miles. The truck will see occasional use and tow occasionally. I am looking for pros and cons of each. I'm leaning toward the gas burner since I have never owned a diesel, but I'm open to either.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Go with a diesel. Better MPG, more reliable, way better to tow with.

The good ole 7.3 powerstroke is almost bulletproof. But finding one for a good price is difficult because they hold their value well and most guys know the reputation of the 7.3. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was well taken care of.

Just change fuel filters every 10k miles and enjoy buying 4 gallons of oil for oil changes lol. Other than that diesel is the only way to go is large trucks
Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody else?

It there anything specific I need to check out on the 7.3? Any absolute deal breakers that I should know about?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 1996 f350 Diesel sitting in my garage right now. I bought It brand new.

+1 on the diesel. The first generation powerstroke is debateably one of the best engines ever built. Yeah, the newer ones have more power, but 300k miles is totally a realistic expectation from this motor. I've seen them with more.

The maintenance is not bad, they're a little loud. Fuel economy is just OK compared to today's standards, but compared to the 351 and 460 gassers, it's not even close. Diesel all the way!

There's no shortage of performance mods or parts available. Relatively easy engine to work on.

Along with oil and fuel filter changes, another important thing is the coolant additive. These engine have been reported to have a "cavitation issue" but the motorcraft "DC-4" additive eliminates that.

DOWNSIDE. these engines don't care much for the ultra-low-sulpher fuel, so it may be necessary to run an additive in it for best performance.
Also, the O-rings in the fuel filter-water separator tend to leak after a while, (some say it's due to the new fuel) but for $25 in parts and a couple hours labor, it's an easy fix.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to by my truck again. GO DIESEL, but stay 95 or later so its the POWERSTROKE. The previous turbo diesel is OK, but the POWERSTROKE is far better.

Another big positive is that the glow plugs and injectors can be done by anybody with decent mechanical skills, and don't really warrant a trip to the dealer. Relatively easy.

Last edited by driver444; 09-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Also recommend a 7.3 as long as you can get a seller who doesn't seem to think the things made of gold. Like the previous guy said, they have a high reputation in the diesel world so your ganna pay more, but on the plus side they've earned their rep

Quick Reply: Mid 90s diesel vs gas burner