Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

In the market.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default In the market.....

My wife and I have been big fans of camping and owning RV's.... We've had several travel trailers (have one now) and a Class "A" Motor home. Motor home cost too much to own so we've finally decided to step up and buy our first 5th wheel.
We need to replace my F150 to pull this new 5er....

So my question to you Super Duty guys....

Can you please recommend the better years for the Super Duty's and the better Diesel choice.

I am looking to pick up a nice clean used truck. I just can't swallow the price tag on the new ones. lol

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Would you consider 6.4 new? Cuz they'll pull it great, mpgs might suck tho. A later 6.0 would get the job done too (06-07) 7.3's are very very reliable but are dogs lol.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:20 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

If you don't mind dropping $60k on a vehicle the new 6.7's are monsters.

08-10 had the 6.4. They had some issues but nothing too terrible.however when stuff does break they are very expensive to fix, but what vehicle these days doesn't? Nice trucks. Just find one with low miles and do a DPF delete if it hasn't been done already. Your engine, turbos, and wallet will thank you.

03-07 had the 6.0. Head studs are a must as you have a very good chance at blowing head gaskets with the stock head bolts. Later 6.0's like the 05-07 trucks had fewer problems. I'm in the market for one of these trucks in the same year myself. This is probably my favorite engine just on sound alone. They sound like jets with a straight pipe!

99-early 03 had the 7.3. It's arguably the most reliable Diesel engine ever put in a pickup. They still tow good just not as well as the newer trucks.

Late 94-97 had the 7.3. It just had less power and was in the OBS style trucks with less features and is obviously older.

And with any of these trucks, buy one WITHOUT a gooseneck it 5er in the bed. Then you know the truck hasn't towed at full capacity as the only way to tow at full capacity (legally and safely) is is with a hitch in the bed.

Last edited by dieselhunter44; 10-17-2013 at 10:31 PM.