Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

F250 Winch setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Default F250 Winch setup

Our fire dept is looking into putting a winch on a new brush truck, 2013 F250 Super Duty. Batting around the idea of a winch tray, a hidden mount, a push bar, or a brush guard mount. In all reality, the truck will likely never be driven though much brush because of our response territory, so a full brush guard is pointless. So, we're thinkin a tray or push bar. The push bar will likely neve be used either. Looking for any input and pics. We have a couple models of WARNs in mind, just undecided on how to mount it. Spending money on a push bar seems silly if all it really needs to do is hold a winch.

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

If it were up to me, I don't know how your dept is financially, I would put a full brush guard on it. It's an emergency vehicle and you never know what kind of situation you might respond to so why not give your new truck the most protection it can have. I've never responded to a scene thinking that I have too much. Just my thoughts
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cptBudd
If it were up to me, I don't know how your dept is financially, I would put a full brush guard on it. It's an emergency vehicle and you never know what kind of situation you might respond to so why not give your new truck the most protection it can have. I've never responded to a scene thinking that I have too much. Just my thoughts
We had the same mind set, then got to thinking that realistically, if we're driving through heavy brush, a simple brush guard probably isn't gonna offer enough protection.....also, our dept is 90% municipal, surrounded by fields. So really, it's not gonna be a "brush truck" as much as a "grass truck". The winch will likely be more for accidents and self recovery. We just don't want a big gawdy brush guard hangin on the front, that really isn't going to be offering any real brush protection. Sure, the right one would "look" all tough, but doesn't offer much "protection". We don't want a brush guard, just to hold a winch......weird, but does that make sense?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MZEMS2
We had the same mind set, then got to thinking that realistically, if we're driving through heavy brush, a simple brush guard probably isn't gonna offer enough protection.....also, our dept is 90% municipal, surrounded by fields. So really, it's not gonna be a "brush truck" as much as a "grass truck". The winch will likely be more for accidents and self recovery. We just don't want a big gawdy brush guard hangin on the front, that really isn't going to be offering any real brush protection. Sure, the right one would "look" all tough, but doesn't offer much "protection". We don't want a brush guard, just to hold a winch......weird, but does that make sense?
Yea I get what you're saying haha brush guard was my number 1 but trying to think of more of your dept's needs it sounds like a hidden winch might be your best bet then, unless there are winches that you can mount in trailer hitches then just have a front hitch installed and add quick disconnects to the front and rear hitches that way you can keep the winch out of the way until you need it and you have more option of use (front/rear)
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Depending on what year F250, Warn makes a hidden mount for it.

Quick Reply: F250 Winch setup