Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

F250 purchase opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F250 purchase opinions please

I have tyhe opportunity to purchase a 1990 F250 w/ a 7.3 diesel.The milage is unknown and the truck has a problem w/ its fuel system.I work on marine diesels for a living so I feel I can get the truck to run.Current owner tried to get the truck to run,but its beyond his experience.The truck body is decent for a work truck and has a new clutch in it.Does anyone think its worth 1000.00 and it will be towed to my house to fix.I would like to others opinions on it.Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd offer 750 and if not walk away
Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Ford Test Driver

Well from personal experience I know that the 7.3s can go for a few hundred thousand but like conman said you are in a good place to bargain and possibly get yourself a good truck for a good price.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 AM

In addition to it not running too well, the 7.3 is the old idi non turbo, decent motor, more reliable than the 6.9 but not very powerful as it is naturally aspirated
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Ford Test Driver

Agreed my buddy has one in his 93 f150 and I believe that it is the international and I know that it doesnt have a turbo. Takes a while to get up to speed but it works pretty good for what he does with plowin and towin skid steers and that good reliable engines. Have one in one of my delivery trucks and the thing had 260k on it when I bought it and I just got home from doing deliveries with the clock reading 295k
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Personally I'm a fan of 6.9's more, less chance for cavitation, but any IDI is very easy to work on compared to electronic diesels, as for fuel issue, its either fuel pump(mechanical engine driven by cam) the IP(either timing or its shot) or you have leaking or stuck injectors. The injection pumps dont usually last much more than 150k miles but are not that bad to get rebuilt and last longer if you use a fuel condition such as howes or power service. I have 2 IDI's and they're about my favorite diesel engine out there just for the fact they where designed to work and run on the limiter all day, not like the GM diesels where if you run redline pulling something it melts down, happened to my buddies 6.2. IH put more testing time into these engines than the time they where on the market.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM

I did buy the truck got it for 300 bucks.the guy I got it from could not get it to run and he needed it gone so he took a loss.The engine has a newer injection pump,lift pump and almost brand new hankook tires on it.It is in fair shape considering the age.I figure I can get it to run but found the glow plugs are not working and the guy I bought it from had a fuel issue w/ it cause the fuel was not at the injectors.The glow plug problem is what I have to fix before cranking the batteries dead trying to start.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by dickymoe
I did buy the truck got it for 300 bucks.the guy I got it from could not get it to run and he needed it gone so he took a loss.The engine has a newer injection pump,lift pump and almost brand new hankook tires on it.It is in fair shape considering the age.I figure I can get it to run but found the glow plugs are not working and the guy I bought it from had a fuel issue w/ it cause the fuel was not at the injectors.The glow plug problem is what I have to fix before cranking the batteries dead trying to start.
Damn, you got a deal on that. Is it 2wd or 4wd?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 PM

its a 2wd but the glow plugs are all dead and i am trying to figure them out yet.engine has 150k on it w/ some new parts so hope i can get it to run soon.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:55 AM

1990 F250 in 300 bucks. I don't think it is a bad deal. My opinion is spend little more on its fuel system so it will give you better result.

Quick Reply: F250 purchase opinions please